ODK 2.0 Developer Calls

As discussed at the ODK Convening, we will be establishing "online developer calls" for ODK 2.0.

Since a Release Candidate is scheduled for July 31st we discussed starting weekly calls that last until a few weeks after the Release Candidate then lowering the frequency of calls to twice a month.

We have interested parties in Africa, Australia, Europe, and North America so finding a time might be a challenge but we are hopeful we can. An option is to alternate times between calls making them 8 hours apart so hopefully it will work for everyone to make meeting (e.g., 8am PDT and 4pm PDT, OR 8am PDT, 4pm PDT, and 12am PDT).

Please express your interest on this thread and when might work for you so we can find the best times to alternate between.

2 Likes

Howdy! Any further progress on determining a time & interested participants for this meeting?

I would not probably have much to contribute, so I didn't want to put any constraints on the time. That said, I would be interested in at least listening in from time to time to hear the latest updates. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Waylon,

A very belated expression of interest in participating in the developer calls.

We are very keen to have an ongoing conversation about the upcoming production release and the future roadmap.

Timewise, we are used to managing disparate timezones, so i'm happy to go with a time that would suit the majority.

Cheers, Ben

3 Likes

Hi @W_Brunette!

The same as @bengreen from my side. Looking forward to participate in the developer calls to talk about new releases and the future roadmap.

I can adapt as well to the timezones, each time could be into a different one so all of us get lucky some time :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Raquel

1 Like

Hoping that the timing works out so I can participate. From my side, 8/9am US East Coast is generally good.

1 Like

I'm on PST and can make anytime 8am-4pm. Thanks!

1 Like

I am on EAT and wanted to participate on the call.

2 Likes

I'm also on PST (located in Seattle).

As of November I'll be transitioning away from being a staff developer at UW writing ODK 2.0 and into being a consultant specializing in services around ODK 2.0. At that point I will be very interested in participating in these calls.

2 Likes

I'm on the east coast and would be interested in participating as well.

2 Likes

All,

To ensure we have world wide coverage (since we have interest from around the world) I am proposing two meetings a month so hopefully interested parties can make one meeting based on their timezone. A few of us will be on both to ensure that there is contiguity between the two meetings.

Here are two proposed times that are completely up for discussion. Please make suggestions on shifting one of the time slots that might work better for your schedule as I might have proposed a time to work for your timezone and you might like it at a different time that works better for others so PLEASE don't be shy.

I expect multiple rounds of feedback (though who knows maybe the initial proposal will be good).

Round 1 Possible times:
2nd Tuesday of Month, 15:00-16:00 UTC
4th Tuesday of Month, 04:00-05:00 UTC

Please respond with which possible time you could make or suggest a shift to one of the time slot.

(Hope to start in November)

4 Likes

I can attend the 2nd option:

4th Tuesday of Month, 04:00-05:00 UTC

Thanks Waylon!

1 Like

I will be at the first option

Thanks

1 Like

All,

I do not feel like we came to consensus for the timing of the ODK 2.0 developer calls, so we will be starting the developer calls in December. This will hopefully give people a chance to confirm that future developer calls will everyone’s schedules.

One area of concern was that @johnhbenetech requested 8am-4pm Pacific Standard Time (PST); however, both call times are outside of the requested window. The first call of the month is at 7am PST and the second call is 8pm PST. The hour earlier also helped but did not solve @litlfred request at 8/9am Eastern Standard Time (EST). Perhaps a second option set would be better?

Option 1 possible times:
2nd Tuesday of Month, 15:00-16:00 UTC (7am PST)
4th Tuesday of Month, 04:00-05:00 UTC (8pm PST)

Option 2 possible times:
2nd Tuesday of Month, 14:00-15:00 UTC (6 am PST)
4th Tuesday of Month, 01:00-02:00 UTC (5 pm PST)

I think option 2 helps @litlfred but not @johnhbenetech. Does shifting the evening call earlier help @johnhbenetech? Hopefully either of the second Tuesday options will work for @berpita and @bs since it’s only an hour difference in the late afternoon/early evening. Will this change work for you?

The first ODK 2.0 developer meeting will be on Tuesday, December 12th at a time that will be set in the next two weeks.

We will likely be using Open Data Kit’s Uber Conference for consistency within the ODK project unless someone has a better idea? Link: https://www.uberconference.com/opendatakit

2 Likes

Both those options work for me. I'll refrain from a preference, since @johnhbenetech and @litlfred seem to be those most affected.

1 Like

I can try the 7am PST time. I will be on the train, but can mute when I'm not talking.

2 Likes

Hi All,
I can make the Option 1, 7am PST without a problem and Option 2, 6am PST. Please note that I will be traveling for the OpenMRS meeting on December 12th, and am not 100% sure I would be able to make the first meeting.

Cheers,
-carl

1 Like

All,

The first ODK 2 developer call is scheduled for tomorrow the 2nd Tuesday of Month, 15:00-16:00 UTC (7am PST).

We will likely be using Open Data Kit’s Uber Conference for consistency within the ODK project:
Link: https://www.uberconference.com/opendatakit

1 Like

Dec 12th Meeting Summary:

ODK 2.0.2 rev 218 has been released: ODK 2.0 Tool Suite Release - v2.0.2

The next round of development will focus on a new PC tool called ODK Deploy to replace Application Designer. The goal is to make it easier for users to create forms and design application screens.

In January a documentation push will begin with the plan to use sphinx to match ODK 1's documentation.

The following features were discussed in hopes of 1) better understanding community priority and 2) find synergy between groups to possibly work together:

1. ODK Deploy
  2. Documentation
  3. Data Filter Query Improvement
  4. DHIS2 Integration
  5. "Async Assign" Feature Redesign

Call Recording:

3 Likes

Shoot, sorry I missed this. Thanks for posting the recording. I'm very interested to see the direction ODK Deploy goes. I would have added my vote for DHIS2 Integration, so I'm glad to see it here.

Does this mean the next meeting will be Tuesday the 26th 15:00-16:00 UTC? I'll be there.

2 Likes

The 4th Tuesday of the in December will be Dec 26th boxing day / day after christmas so I don't think we should have one.