Option 2 is nice because it's going into the audit log where we've started to put these things. Also, it's relatively fast to do.
I like it because you can imagine getting this dialog at the question level instead of the form level and that'd better satisfy the requirement. That workflow would be something like this:
- On first launch, you enter the username/id. Maybe we auto-fill this if you have the username question.
- On second launch, if you change a question, you confirm username and enter a short reason for change. Timestamp and the change itself are already in the log and the dialog keeps the previous entered information to speed up entry.
Yes, this narrows the type of data you can collect, but:
- Systems with CRF support get this same narrow set of data and everyone is fine with it.
- We can't even use fingerprints in Collect outside the audit. There isn't widely available hardware so why let this be a blocker?
- Signatures are pretty large images. This could be fixed, I suppose.
To me, the big negative is that if we go down this road, Enketo won't have this feature, but Enketo (and thus Central at some point) could support it with relatively little work. Of course, we have to convince @martijnr, but he's less fanatical than he's ever been !