Arranging search/ select results in alphabetic, ascending, descending and in order of date

1. What is the general goal of the feature?
to be able to show results of a search or select in alphabetic or ascending or descending or in order of date
2. What are some example use cases for this feature?
some one doing a survey of rates of a product in a market and then entering those in a csv in a random order. this feature will enable showing the results in an organized manner for example the most expensive rate at top and the cheapest at the bottom and vice versa. The date feature will be helpful in determining the latest rate as it can be shown on top.
3. What can you contribute to making this feature a reality?
I can help create some example scenarios. I am sorry I am not a programmer or else i would have contributed in coding.

@LN I'm hoping that as we migrate to more XPath based uses of secondary itemsets, this will become possible. Am I being hopelessly naive?

Unfortunately XPath does not provide any sorting functionality (in the XML ecosystem, XSLT and XQuery do). However, eXForms has a specification for a sort function here. Orbeon Forms supports the eXForms function as well as a slight variation in their own namespace.

It would seem reasonable to support one of those. I haven't thought through the implications of the slight difference between the two. I'd recommend that the next step be to identify someone who can build the functionality. That person can then make a formal proposal.

1 Like

This seems like a sensible approach, especially since we're similarly manipulating XForm nodesets with the existing XPath randomize() function, so sorting them is rather a logical progression, and not much of a stretch.

1 Like

Is there any progress on this? Preset select results in alphabetic order? It will be good to have with a large number of "known entities" to select from. Or maybe a search from the list?

Would also be great to have such sorts for repeats (select form), please.