It's great to see that this is getting so much interest! It would certainly be a very useful feature.
If I understand correctly, what you have done is an extension to the existing
geopoint question type is that right? The form creator would include one or more of those questions in their form. The question would not be visible when navigating the form and the answer would be populated in the background.
Here are some questions:
- A lot of users of ODK are in rural areas. Have you tried your current implementation in a rural area?
- In the absense of cell towers, if GPS lock is not acquired within the timeout is the field simply left blank?
- What happens when there are multiple of these questions in a form?
- It's not totally clear to me what
auto_gpsis. Is it an attribute on the
bind? What are its possible values?
- Can you share a form that would work with your implementation?
There's more information about the audit implementation on GitHub here. As @Neil_Penman states one of the next steps on that is to add a location column(s) to get a trace of locations probably at a configurable interval in the audit file. The feature you're describing is a bit different but it would be really good if the two implementations could share some code.