Call for volunteers: mentor an Outreachy project

What about just splitting up the task list into coding and non-coding lists?

We can do that but I want to make it clear that the bulk of the project would be non-coding and that there could be programming components for someone who is interested rather than a full 3-month internship that would be focused on software development. Does that make sense?

I imagine the scripting would actually be done in Python, since that would keep the docs environment clean. but I found that using the tools for automating the movement of an app required a relatively sophisticated understanding of Java/Android.

I want to make it clear that the bulk of the project would be non-coding and that there could be programming components for someone who is interested rather than a full 3-month internship that would be focused on software development. Does that make sense?

Yes.

I have tried the prepending of a coding tag. Please take a look and edit if you'd like to try something else, @adammichaelwood. Outreachy folks aren't showing up yet so it's ok if we try a few different things.

I've also added a few notes about coding vs. non-coding skils

2 Likes

@LN update the ODK slack user to williammitembo.

1 Like

Any editing and and writing up tasks, I will be glad to assit

1 Like

We've had lots of great Outreachy applicants come by over the last few days and complete starter tasks! Follow along on the documentation repository. We also now have an #outreachy channel in the ODK Slack, please join if you're interested in welcoming Outreachy applicants and helping them get started!

Ways to help now (you don't need to be an official mentor!)

Mentors, you'll want to start paying attention to how applicants interact with the community, what kind of contributions they're making and what their interests are. This will help a lot in the application review process starting on October 23rd.

Outreachy veterans @wonderchook @downey anything else we should be doing now?

3 Likes

I think this covers it!

I've been having a hard time keeping up with the excellent response so far!

Hi Outreachy mentors (@adammichaelwood @william1 @Ronald_Munjoma @wonderchook)! You should all have received an email from Outreachy with instructions on how to start looking at applications. If you haven't, please post here so we can follow up with the Outreachy team.

Organizations are responsible for verifying the eligibility of applicants. Who of you can volunteer to do this? It should not be @adammichaelwood since he is doing a lot of starter task review. :blush: From what I understand, the requirement is to log into the application system every few days and verify that all applications submitted so far demonstrate eligibility.

From the email: "We now encourage applicants to fill out the eligibility section of their application form before contacting the mentor for the project they're interested in. This ensures that mentors can review the applicant eligibility before they get too far into working with an applicant. [...] You will need to carefully review the eligibility section (see notes below) periodically for applications to your project."

3 Likes

#Outreachy

@LN @Ronald_Munjoma @downey. According to outreachy calender, applications for interns is open. I am taking the role of verifying applicants eligibility. Progress is good.

3 Likes