1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
I would like to hotlink media attachments hosted in ODK Central in the same way it was possible on ODK Aggregate. This would allow me to include attachments in data previews without having to download and then host them myself. (Auto-deployed pkgdown GitHub pages are a royal pain with custom resource files).
In order to hotlink attachments, the attachment URL for a media attachment would need to be made public (disabled authentication). This could be an opt-in setting in the forms tab.
2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
ODK Central 0.6
3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
- I can access any media via its attachment URL from an authenticated browser session.
- I get a solid 403 when accessing an attachment URL from an unauthenticated browser session.
4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
- Access any attachment URL from an (un-)authenticated browser session.
5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.
This is an example of a preview of ODK Central submissions which would benefit from hotlinking attachments.
Seeing that submission data is tiny compared to attachment file sizes, this would make previews pretty light-weight.
Discussion on ODK Central GH issue: https://github.com/opendatakit/central/issues/43