Caroline Krafft TSC Application - 2020-03-10

Name
Caroline Krafft (@elmps2018)

Organization
St. Catherine University

What contributions (e.g., issue triage, tech support, documentation, bug fixes) have you made to the ODK or ODK-X community?
My main contributions are ODK-X tech support, as a moderator on the Forum, and helping with documentation. On the Forum, although not a developer, I can answer most ODK-X user questions, and act as a moderator, tagging and organizing posts (I at least tag those ODK issues I can figure out the tags for!). I have been learning how to contribute to the docs and am working away on improving learning paths and making the docs more accessible to folks new to building an ODK-X app. I have been on the TSC 2 for ODK-X for a year now, and use the tools in a number of data collection projects.

How do you believe your contributions have benefited ODK or ODK-X?
Having people moderate and answer questions on the forum is key to making the tools work and growing the user (and maybe eventual contributor) base! People really appreciate prompt answers to their questions. When I get a question I can’t answer, I try to tag it so other folks can help. People wanting to learn the ODK-X tools have found some of my training slides very helpful, and I am working to get more of that learning curve documented in the docs.

What do you believe the top priorities for ODK-X are?

1. Making the documentation more accessible for onboarding and a basic learning curve.
  2. Growing the user and contributor bases
  3. Continuing to build new customization features

How will you help the ODK-X community accomplish those priorities?
I am already helping with improving the docs and working on the basic learning curve; my posts and moderation on the Forum help grow our user and contributor base. While I don’t have the technical skills to build new features, I am happy to share my insights from design and fieldwork as use cases to inform team thinking

How many hours a week can you commit to participating on the TSC?
2-4 (often in tiny chunks of 10-15 minutes posting on the Forum, but it adds up!)

What other mobile data collection projects, social good projects, or open source projects are you involved with?
I create economic data public goods with the data I collect on ODK-X; we just released Egypt data, are working on Sudan, and Tunisia is next in the pipeline! The household surveys I work on are publicly available at www.erfdataportal.com . I also am working on a free, open source introductory economics textbook “Economics for the Greater Good”

Please share any links to public resources (e.g., resume, blog, Github) that help support your application.