Choice_filter on a dynamically generated choices list

Hi Mitch,

I have a related question. I am repeating through network contacts and asking which (of an assembled list of contacts) each person knows. I would like to exclude the current contact from the assembled list by adding "name != ${advice_ego_alter}" where advice_ego_alter is the current contact - but it does not work!

I have attached a simplified form and would be grateful for your thoughts why it is not working.

Many thanks,
JennySNA_test_simple.xls (55 KB)

This is interesting. One thought is that by using the text input of someone's name as the data name you're going to end up introducing errors. For example if I code a choice with name of "dan joseph" it will give an error on upload. You seem to be doing a similar thing potentially, except dynamically within the form since someone could answer "jane doe" in the first repeat group and then "jane doe" would become a name value in your choices list.

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 5.37.42 PM
So I tried changing the name back to the index value. This will complicate data analysis, but shouldn't make it impossible.
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 7.53.25 PM
Removing the filter, gets the labels to show (with or without changing the name values as above).
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 7.55.27 PM
But then introducing a filter...

Appears to filter the choices, but the label disappears.
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 8.01.30 PM

Maybe someone who knows more about the code will have insight into this behavior. @Jenny_Smith, any chance you solved this on your own after posting? Or did you try anything else and document the results?