Clinometer

What is the problem? Please be detailed.

I have found the bearing widget, which is great but can you use odk to collect angles along the vertical plane. I want to use my phone as a clinometer or spirit level with the intention of being able to calculate the height of a building or tree using trigonometry.
Is this possible?

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?

Device s9+ odk collect 1.16.4

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

What you have you tried to fix the problem?

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.

Hi @Wildscapes! Collecting angles currently isn't possible in Collect, but as long as Android can do it, we can likely add that feature to Collect. Is there an app in the Play Store that you find is a good spirit level?

Also, when you get a chance, please introduce yourself here. I'd also encourage you to add a real picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

Thanks Yaw,

The following is adequate. It useful because of the lock feature. Is there a way of connect odk to external apps?

Thanks again for your reply

Paul

I've moved this topic into a feature request.

@Wildscapes, what would be ideal is if the Clinometer app developer exposed some intent that Collect could call and that would return the right value. Perhaps you can email the app developer to ask as a first step?

And yes, you can connect Collect to external apps. https://docs.opendatakit.org/launch-apps-from-collect has the documentation.

Hi, Yaw,

I have email the developer and am waiting for a reply regard the clinometer intent. So will let you know of any progress.

Regards

Paul

1 Like

I have made on further progress with this, the developer has not replied. I will continue to use the app externally and input the figures manually. I do not have a programming background so even with permission it would be difficult to achieve.

Thanks for your help

Paul

1 Like