Collect data for a table/matrix

I've searched the forums and the web, but I haven't seen a good solution to
handling very large tables. In the attached example, we need to ask all the
questions for each type of crop, without skipping any crops. At the moment
we're doing this by creating individual questions for each type of crop,
but that leads to a lot of copying and pasting, and takes ahuge amount of
time.

Using a looped group doesn't seem to have the possibility to force each
type of crop to be asked, but perhaps I'm missing a trick here.

Is there a practical and shorter way to do this with xlsform for ODK
collect?

Thanks,

Patrick

TableExample.docx (17.8 KB)

This app support
this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vn.rta.survey.android&hl=en

I'll ask my team to construct a sample form for you tomorrow.

Trung.

ยทยทยท On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 4:06:48 PM UTC+7, Patrick McKay wrote: > > I've searched the forums and the web, but I haven't seen a good solution > to handling very large tables. In the attached example, we need to ask all > the questions for each type of crop, without skipping any crops. At the > moment we're doing this by creating individual questions for each type of > crop, but that leads to a lot of copying and pasting, and takes ahuge > amount of time. > > Using a looped group doesn't seem to have the possibility to force each > type of crop to be asked, but perhaps I'm missing a trick here. > > Is there a practical and shorter way to do this with xlsform for ODK > collect? > > Thanks, > > Patrick >

The newer ODK 2.0 Survey application also supports tabular layouts much
better, as it uses HTML for rendering the survey.

That tool is still in beta.

ยทยทยท On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Trung wrote:

This app support this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vn.rta.survey.android&hl=en

I'll ask my team to construct a sample form for you tomorrow.

Trung.

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 4:06:48 PM UTC+7, Patrick McKay wrote:

I've searched the forums and the web, but I haven't seen a good solution
to handling very large tables. In the attached example, we need to ask all
the questions for each type of crop, without skipping any crops. At the
moment we're doing this by creating individual questions for each type of
crop, but that leads to a lot of copying and pasting, and takes ahuge
amount of time.

Using a looped group doesn't seem to have the possibility to force each
type of crop to be asked, but perhaps I'm missing a trick here.

Is there a practical and shorter way to do this with xlsform for ODK
collect?

Thanks,

Patrick

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Thanks Mitch, I'm not trying to get the table layout, what I'm trying to do
is avoid creating the same variables over and over again!

I'm trying to use repeat groups now, but I get an error telling me my index
group is being repeated. I've attached my test file.

Test5.xlsx (125 KB)

ยทยทยท On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 6:46:53 PM UTC+2, Mitch Sundt wrote: > > The newer ODK 2.0 Survey application also supports tabular layouts much > better, as it uses HTML for rendering the survey. > > That tool is still in beta. > > > On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Trung <trung...@gmail.com > wrote: > >> This app support this: >> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vn.rta.survey.android&hl=en >> >> I'll ask my team to construct a sample form for you tomorrow. >> >> Trung. >> >> On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 4:06:48 PM UTC+7, Patrick McKay wrote: >>> >>> I've searched the forums and the web, but I haven't seen a good solution >>> to handling very large tables. In the attached example, we need to ask all >>> the questions for each type of crop, without skipping any crops. At the >>> moment we're doing this by creating individual questions for each type of >>> crop, but that leads to a lot of copying and pasting, and takes ahuge >>> amount of time. >>> >>> Using a looped group doesn't seem to have the possibility to force each >>> type of crop to be asked, but perhaps I'm missing a trick here. >>> >>> Is there a practical and shorter way to do this with xlsform for ODK >>> collect? >>> >>> Thanks, >>> >>> Patrick >>> >> -- >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> --- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "ODK Community" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com >

Hi Patrick, We have made a sample form so that you can see if it works for
you. Cheers, Trung.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ar6F5NfUhNw/VTCBdHJnL8I/AAAAAAAABRY/vO6cy2MsQjg/s1600/Screenshot_2015-04-17-10-40-04.png

RTA_Matrix_Sample_form.xml (5.9 KB)

1 Like

Hi Trung,

It's along the right lines, but is it possible in XLSform?

Thanks,

Patrick

ยทยทยท On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 5:44:25 AM UTC+2, Trung wrote: > > Hi Patrick, We have made a sample form so that you can see if it works for > you. Cheers, Trung. > > > > > > > >

Hi Patrick,

Did you manage to get the XLS form ? I am looking for the same model.
Thanks.

Kashif

ยทยทยท On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 9:13:19 PM UTC+2, Patrick McKay wrote: > > Hi Trung, > > It's along the right lines, but is it possible in XLSform? > > Thanks, > > Patrick > > On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 5:44:25 AM UTC+2, Trung wrote: >> >> Hi Patrick, We have made a sample form so that you can see if it works >> for you. Cheers, Trung. >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >>

Hi Patrick,

Did you manage to get the XLS form ? I am looking for the same model. Thanks.

Kashif

Hi Trung,

It's along the right lines, but is it possible in XLSform?

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

We have made a sample form so that you can see if it works for you.

Cheers,
Trung.

Dear Team,

I request for an xlsform for that collects data for a table/matrix. Kindly share.

Ronald.

ยทยทยท On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 3:51:21 PM UTC+3, KM wrote: > On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 9:13:19 PM UTC+2, Patrick McKay wrote: > On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 5:44:25 AM UTC+2, Trung wrote:
2 Likes

Hi - came across this thread, I'm looking for this kind of layout in xls form too. Is it available anywhere? It looks great!

7 posts were split to a new topic: Form layouts in Real-Time Survey

I never managed to get an xlsform that worked for me despite trying for months. In the end I gave up and just copy pasted for hours! If anyone has a better solution I'd still love to hear it.

Try this:

repeat_for_list.xls (27 KB)

I had to resort to a little XForms 'black magic', but I think it'll do what you desire... :slight_smile:

Basically, the randomize() will generate an Xpath nodeset from your list, which you define using a select-one item list (but the select-one itself is hidden so the user doesn't actually see it!). This allows me to count() the number of items in the list. And this count is then used to explicitly specify the number of repeat groups to enumerate (see Statically defined repeats).

Then, in each repeat group, I used position(..) to give me the index of that group, which I then used with jr:choice-name() to retrieve the corresponding item in the list. WHEW! :sweat:

Please have a play and let me know if it works for you.

2 Likes

Hi Ronald Kagiri

Do you have xlsform for that table/matrix?
thanks.

PPT