Export not working / starting (ODK Briefcase)

Hi,

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
I experience the problem that the export of a form in Briefcase is not working, respectively it seems to not even be starting. The progress bar in the bottom right (next to the "Export" button) just keeps going on forever. There's not even an error message in the logfile.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
Briefcase 1.17

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I already deleted all but two submissions in the folder to see if it's maybe a problem with the number of submissions but that didn't help either.

My project consists of two forms. The export of the second form works just fine.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
There's one thing I realized. Maybe that's part of the problem:

My form_title (not form_id!) contains a slash along with two spaces (" / "). After pulling the submissions, for the folder name this slash is removed, which makes sense, therefore leaving a double space instead (" "). In ODK Briefcase, however, the slash in the form name is replaced with an underscore. The name therefore looks like this " _ ". Could this potentially cause the problem?

Hi,

Where is your ODK Aggregate hosted? Google or DO? If Google, do you have billing account with them?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks.

Aggregate is hosted at Google. I also have a billing account.

However, since pulling the data as well as exporting other forms work well, I don't think it's a problem with the Google account anyway.

1 Like

Does anybody have an idea what the issue could be?

My form consists of multiple repeat groups, so currently I'm unable to export my data which is highly frustrating.

Thanks a lot!

Hi, @mpds!

My form_title (not form_id!) contains a slash along with two spaces (" / "). After pulling the submissions, for the folder name this slash is removed, which makes sense, therefore leaving a double space instead (" "). In ODK Briefcase, however, the slash in the form name is replaced with an underscore. The name therefore looks like this " _ ". Could this potentially cause the problem?

That doesn't feel like it could be related to the problem you're reporting.

I'm very intrigued by you saying that there are no errors in the log file. Can you confirm that you're referring to the briefcase.log file that shows up in the directory where you launch Briefcase?

If an export fails or stalls you should see something on the logs. I think I'd need the form and some submissions to be able to debug this. Could you share them with me? You can zip and attach them here, or you can send them to me privately if you prefer. ggalmazor@gmail.com

Hi @ggalmazor ,

Yes, I checked the right logfile.

It seems to me that the export is not even starting as all I see is the progress bar in the bottom right but nothing at all in the 'Export Status' column.

I'll send you an excerpt of my files. Thanks a lot already!

1 Like

Thanks, @mpds. I'm on it. This could be a Windows only problem, though.

OK, just came back from checking this in Windows 10, and there's something weird going on...

Among the files you've sent me, there's a metadata.json file that is responsible for the problem you're reporting, because it's encoding the form's name incorrectly. Your metadata.json file says that the form's name is "Culverts Drainage Assessment Form" (double space between the first two words).

When I copy the form in my Briefcase storage directory (just the form files and the instances excluding the metadata.json file) and hit the "reload forms" button, I get a metadata.json file that says that the form's name is "Culverts / Drainage Assessment Form", which would be the correct outcome.

@mpds, could you try to remove the metadata.json file in your form, restart Briefcase, and try again?

1 Like

I deleted the metadata.json, reloaded the forms from storage location and it worked!

Thanks a lot @ggalmazor!

1 Like

I'm happy that it solved your problem. I'd love to know why you got a bad metadata.json in the first place, though. :man_shrugging:

Yeah, me too. I guess I should avoid special characters in the form title in the future, just to be save.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Syntax to rank multiple choices