Factors influencing adoption of electronic data capturing systems by TechnoServe Kenya

Hi, I would like to share my MBA thesis with you!

Abstract

Accurately captured data that leads to timely information places an organization in its contextual environment and offer, perceptions on how to conquer new markets, develop new products, grow and sustainably become profitable. The speed of acquisition of data, its collation, storage, and analysis to provide valuable information and wisdom is key in giving an organization competitive advantage in the market. There has been a rise in the use of various Electronic Data Capture (EDC) system technologies that could speed up the process of data collection, improve accuracy, the veracity of the data and shorten time to report writing considerably. The main objective of the study was to determine the factors that influence adoption of the EDC systems. The other objectives of the study were to establish the extent of adoption of electronic data capture, and the impact of adoption of electronic data capture systems. The study was anchored on the Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology (UTAUT), Technology Acceptance Model (TAM), and Technology Diffusion Theory (TDT). An exploratory cross-sectional survey design was used for the study. A census targeting 60 TechnoServe Kenya employees was conducted with the questionnaire being administered to TechnoServe-Kenya employees through the email method with a server link. The response rate for the administered questionnaire was 73.33%. The collected data was analyzed using frequency tables, descriptive statistics, factor analysis and cross-tabulation. The findings are presented using tables, bar-graphs and percentages. The study revealed that the top three electronic data capture systems that the respondents were aware of and used mostly were Google Forms, SurveyMonkey and ODK Collect. The results show that computer-based EDC systems were more preferable to the employees than mobile phone-based systems. It also reveals that most of the employees who used mobile based EDC systems preferred to use ODK Collect. The study showed that there are eight key factors that influence the adoption of EDC systems, which are: the functionality of the system, the organizational characteristics, support and influence of the top level management, perceived efficiency brought about by using the system, costs associated with the system, ease of learning how to use the system, the availability of equipment for the system and finally donor requirements. The biggest impacts of adoption of EDC systems were; improved data accuracy and increased efficiency at work. Based on the findings of the study, the recommendations were that TechnoServe-Kenya should choose appropriate EDC systems based on their functionalities for the different departments independently.

URL: http://erepository.uonbi.ac.ke/bitstream/handle/11295/105932/Odemu_Factors%20Influencing%20Adoption%20of%20Electronic%20Data%20Capturing%20Systems%20by%20Technoserve%20Kenya.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

3 Likes

This is really interesting work, @Joel_Odemu! It's great to learn that so many of TechnoServe's workforce know about and appreciate ODK.

I found the description of the factors that drive decisions to adopt particular systems very interesting (table 4.5). Are there other sections that you think are particularly relevant to this community? Do you have any recommendations to improve the tools in the ODK ecosystem based on your research?

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: (I took the liberty of pasting in your abstract so that folks can immediately see what its about)

3 Likes

Thank you Xiphware! I really appreciate the posting of the abstract. It gives the community an open window to the work.

Thank you @LN! My supervisor really grilled me over those factors (lol)! Am glad the work paid out and is now useable.

I believe the data I have is rich enough to cover other aspects that might have been left out in this work. We can explore that further with you if you would like that.