Help wanted: Google Summer of Code 2018 application 🌞

Thank you. Do we discuss the projects here or on some other thread?

Sure!

And now garbage to reach 20 characters.

At the risk of being off-topic (or stress-inducing!) I just wanted to provide a reminder that Outreachy also runs in the summer, alongside (same schedule as) Google Summer of Code! 3 items of note:

1. The call for participating orgs for Outreachy Summer 2018 will open on 15 January, and interns would start applying on 8 February.
  2. DIAL still has sponsored space available for interns, and ODK is eligible to request 1 or more slots.
  3. As a reminder, Outreachy can support non-coding projects, as well as is open to participants who may not be actively enrolled in university (the GSoC requirement). So it may offer some wider opportunities for ODK mentored projects this mid-year!

I would like to contribute for Supervisor app project.

1 Like

What about RGSoC. We can also participate in that. Your thoughts?

I've also heard great things about Rails Girls Summer of Code (RGSoC), but don't know a lot about it personally. It does seem that the process & structure are somewhat different than GSoC/Outreachy so it'd have to be managed in parallel.

There's more info about applying as a project at: https://railsgirlssummerofcode.org/guide/projects/

@Murad do you (or others?) have any personal experience with the program?

Yes, you are correct. The process and structure is very different. A team of 2 girls living in the same city will work on a project. I have a friend who participated in RGSoC last year. I'm not in touch with her but I will try to ask her about the process and her experience.

By the way -- if you're thinking about whether or not to be a mentor for Google Summer of Code, and aren't quite sure what the program is about or the benefits of participating, fellow mentors made this cool video last October during the Mentor Summit for people like you. Check it out:

3 Likes

Hey Downey

Where are we discussing the project ideas.

Right here, as far as I know! @LN may want to start multiple topics or break things out for more in-depth discussion though.

Hi Yanokwa, all of you

am sorry for my late response :pray:

in fact i add a suggestion about UI for briefcase in github.

Best Regards for all of you

I was going through the collect code. It just allows you to download existing forms.
Then I came across build which allows you to create forms. What if we make an android equivalent of build.

1 Like

Hello, I'd like to participate to this summer. I'm not very advanced in codding but I can find the way with a mentor. I want to work more for ODK.

2 Likes

I'll volunteer to be a mentor. I'm open to work on lots of things, but my expertise obviously resides in ODK 2.0. Here are a couple project ideas I had.

1. Push notifications in ODK 2.0: On the PC the user would generate messages that will be pushed to the server. When mobile devices sync to the server they will display these messages to the user. ODK runs disconnected so these couldn't be true push notifications, but I have heard multiple organizations request the ability to send notifications to their field workers with this kind of workflow.

2. A repository for ODK 2.0 data management applications. If an organization wants to share their application with other ODK 2.0 users there is no easy way to do that. As of now we maintain all of the examples in the App Designer directory, which is clearly not sustainable for anything but a few sample apps. This project is more open ended and would require some work investigating different options.

I'll keep thinking of more ODK 2.0 project ideas and would happy to hear some from others. Either way I'd be happy to help.

5 Likes

Wow, great to see all the interest in Google Summer of Code! It's going to be another great summer.

The application is due Tuesday, January 23rd at 9am PST. I have added some information to the application draft from last year's -- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JkCGlxa-qhBGNdEjGZILBN6wQi6rfdeUQDDBRgEhHZw/edit. Please comment and offer suggestions.

We need to include a list of project ideas which I have started at https://docs.google.com/document/d/15wQ0QdQ5l7wLYHsKkzKbWa8sZju-16eAYl8sVjMt-58/edit. Please request write permissions if you have something to add or edit. These are only preliminary and can continue to be revised once we are accepted as a mentor organization.

So far we have the following potential mentors/projects:
@ggalmazor - Briefcase enhancements
@Shobhit_Agarwal perhaps with some occasional help from @adam.butler? - peer-to-peer transfer of forms
@yanokwa, @downey, Discourse folks - plugin for mapping users; see some discussion on the Discourse forum at https://meta.discourse.org/t/project-ideas-for-google-summer-of-code-2018/77607/6
@dcbriccetti - Collect/JavaRosa performance exploration and enhancement
@Jeff_Beorse - 2.0 enhancements
Potential mentors, please request access to the document above to edit your project description.

@Akshay_Patel, @Murad, @mathieubossaert have also described interesting ideas that are in search of a technical mentor!

If you have any more ideas you are interested in mentoring, please share them on this thread or add them to the ideas list.

2 Likes

If its possible I would like to mentor or Co-mentor for the project that I have proposed.

Yes, I can certainly provide occasional help for the p2p project!

1 Like

@Murad, mentors need to have participated in building ODK tools. If you'd like to be a mentor in the future, perhaps you can start looking at issues now and help guide potential applicants to this year's GSoC!

I'm putting final touches on the application which is due in about 12 hours. Please see https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JkCGlxa-qhBGNdEjGZILBN6wQi6rfdeUQDDBRgEhHZw/edit and https://docs.google.com/document/d/15wQ0QdQ5l7wLYHsKkzKbWa8sZju-16eAYl8sVjMt-58/edit to suggest any last changes!

1 Like

Sure, I look forward to working with ODK.

Quick updates! Google has been hard at work reviewing organization applications and we will know by Monday whether we are in. On that day students will start coming by and introducing themselves and in fact, several have already! As @yanokwa mentioned on the developer call, please welcome them and help them get started if you have some time. They will primarily be in the #internships channel of the developer Slack.

The awesome team at the Digital Impact Alliance Open Source Center (@downey, @daveycrockett, etc) has provided funding for one ODK Outreachy intern. Outreachy is a program similar to GSoC that specifically targets underrepresented groups in technology. It is not limited to students so it's an opportunity to work with a different kind of contributor. The timeline is the same as for GSoC.

Let's provide the same project descriptions for Outreachy and GSoC. This will allow us to reach a broader range of possible interns. Outreachy requires mentors to submit projects through their portal. @ggalmazor, @Shobhit_Agarwal, @Jeff_Beorse, please create accounts at https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/open-data-kit/ and submit your project ideas. You can simply copy and paste them from here but they need to be sent in by you!

And one last update on one of the project ideas we discussed -- the Discourse community has taken interest in the user map idea following the post here and are working on an implementation! I'll loop the ODK community in for feedback once there is a first pass available (especially @mistcrrgpsa and @Andrew). :world_map:

3 Likes