In general, the more you engage with the forum (e.g., visit, read, write, reply, like) the more trust you are given. And the more welcoming, helpful, thoughtful, and respectful you are, the more likely you are to be nominated for a leadership position.
The forum has five trust level (TL) that users progress through.
- TL 0 (New) - Visitors who just created an account and are still learning community norms and the way the forum works.
- TL 1 (Basic) - If a user sticks around long enough to read a bit, we now trusts them as a basic user.
- TL 2 (Member) - Members keep coming back to the site, and have participated long enough to earn complete citizenship.
- TL 3 (Regular) - Regulars are the most active readers and reliable contributors over long periods of time.
- TL 4 (Leader) - Leaders are regulars who have been around forever and seen everything. They set a positive example for the community through their actions and their posts.
Becoming a moderator
Moderators help keep the forum useful to the community. A good mod welcomes newcomers, facilitates conversations, makes sure topics are easy to read and find, and generally leads by example.
An existing moderator or admin can nominate any user with TL 2 status for a moderator position. A user with TL 2 status becomes a moderator via a two-thirds vote from existing moderators and admins.
Becoming an admin
Admins are super users on the forum. They can change site settings, create groups, customize the site, and do all the things moderators can do.
Any existing moderator or admin can nominate a moderator for an admin position. A moderator becomes an admin via a unanimous vote from the existing moderators and admins.
Admins are granted TL 4 status.
Inactive moderators and admins
Moderators and admins review each other's activity on an ongoing basis.
Admins who haven't consistently taken meaningful actions as admins in the past 6 months lose admin privileges and become moderators with TL 3 status. There must always be at least one admin.
Moderators who haven't consistently taken meaningful actions as moderators in the past 6 months lose moderation privileges.
Changes to these rules
Any change to these rules requires unanimous approval from all moderators and admins.