I need help setting up development environment

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
I am following the instructions on how to set up the ODK environment in Android Studio. When I go to run 'collect_app' I get build failed and I'm not exactly sure why I'm getting these errors.
I am very new to android development as well.
Errors :
Cause: java.lang.IllegalStateException

Warnings:
2:05 PM Emulator: qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:ECX.abm [bit 5]

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
I am on ubuntu 18.04.2 and the android emulator is using the Pixel 2 API 2.
3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I tried to look up a solution on Google but unable to find anything. Haven't done much else because I don't know where to start.
4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
I just followed the steps in 'Setting up Development environment' section of the github repo.

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.
I've attached a scr

eenshot .

Hi @mtsnguy! What version of Android Studio are you running? Can you try disabling instant run and seeing if that works?

For development questions, you can also consider joining the ODK developer Slack to discuss issues you're having in real time.

1 Like

Hi @LN! Thanks for the response. I am currently running version 3.4.1. I tried disabling instant run in my settings and it seems the only error I am getting is "11:26 AM Emulator: qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:ECX.abm [bit 5]"

Thanks!

edit: after some browsing online, it seems like I have a CPU issue with my CPU being outdated?

This sounds possible. Do you have a physical device you could try instead of the emulator? Perhaps you could also try a 32-bit emulator?

LN,

Thank you for your help! I ended up using a different machine to get it running. Seems like it was the issue of my original CPU being outdated.

Thank you again! Have a wonderful day :slight_smile:

1 Like