Instances transfering to a second device in the field

After collecting data in the field with an assistant using two Android devices (Bullit Group Cat S60 and Galaxy Tab S2) , both with ODK collect installed and both using the same collection form, I downloaded instances via Briefcase from both devices and found exact copies of some instances from the Samsung phone on the Cat phone. I checked the phones and the copies are on the phone. It does not appear to have occurred in processing the data in Briefcase. Essentially it appears some of the instances have jumped from the Samsung to the Cat phone in the field. I do not appear to have lost any data in total, just some but not all instances transferred from one phone to the other.
There were around 125 instances on the Cat Phone from several days work. On the last day, we turned off the devices mid day and back on when we finished our break. The Samsung phone was already on. On turning the Cat phone back on, my assistant noted many of the instances appeared to be missing, and as I watched, ODK Collect saved all the instances again and re-dated them with the current time and date.
Other than that I don't know if my assistant accidentally pressed a menu item etc.
I would like to avoid that again if I can. Do you know of any circumstance where instances could transfer from one device to the other?
ODK Collect V1.21.1 on the samsung with a XGPS160 via bluetooth and
ODK Collect V1.21.2 on the Cat with a Garmin Glo via bluetooth.
Briefcase V1.9.0 Production (I cant get V1.15.0 to start) on Windows 10.

This sounds very odd indeed!
Are you able to provide any more details about the survey form(s) being used for data collection? Any screenshots? Etc?

2 Likes

Firstly, thanks for your reply. Secondly apologies for not responding. I think my post notification must be turned off. I am set to get back to the same job and just recalled my post.
Yes it was odd! plus it was a pain sorting site records since I am collating from three collectors.
It's a simple form that has: txt, date, photo, gps, integer, txt, photo, txt. It happened after we came back from lunch and turned the android devices back on.
That's it. As I said, the only noticeable symptom was one of the devices resetting and re-dating (to the current date) all of the saved records.
Not that I use it but the server is set to ODK Aggregate and auto send is off.
Sounds like it may remain a mystery.