Introduce yourself here!

Hi ODK Community,
My name is Zak Njenga Kinyanjui from Nairobi, Kenya.I am a Digital and Customer Relations intern at Tech for Development-(T4D).I was Introduced to ODK for the first time at T4D and found it very interesting.

3 Likes

Hey everyone!:grinning:

I am Smarita Sharma and I am currently doing my undergraduate studies in computer science at VIT University.

Why Open-Source and Opendatakit ?

I have always wanted to know what it feels like to work for an open source organisation and make significant contributions.

I wish to work for the betterment of the people around me and use whatever knowledge I've gained so far for the upliftment of the society. In such a case what better way to help but contribute to an open source organisation with a similar aim!

About me:

I am 20 years old and I am from India.I love coding and it is what I do most of the time :grinning:
I'm sure that with the right amount of guidance and support I can surpass all the challenges.

Some of my projects include:

A research portal for my campus where all the teachers and students can submit their research papers.The aim of this project is to promote free flow of knowledge using the power of the internet.

A Price Comparator website based on Django Framework and Python that compares cost and other features across various e-commerce websites and displays the items according to relevance and cost against each website.

I am also familiar with machine learning . My work might not be that great I know but I would be more than happy if this even remotely helps someone in need :blush:.

Profiles: Github

5 Likes

I am Poonam, a third year Computer Science undergraduate from India. And I am more than excited to start contributing to the ODK project. I have been a backend developer since 3 years, and I mostly work on Python. I have made several websites and helped in open source projects which use Django, Flask etc. Apart from that, I also have knowledge about Network Security, and I do Assembly level penetration testing in OWASP.
My non coding skills involve sketching and debating. It'll be amazing if I prove useful to the ODK community as well, and I hope I stand up to the levels of this community :slight_smile:

And most of my friends call me "Mish" :smile:

My GitHub - https://github.com/mish24

8 Likes

Hello every one,
Originally, I am from Yemen, currently, I belong to the entire world. I have interests in computer science and its involvement in other sciences such as biology & ecology as well as society and business.
I got to know about ODK from the outreachy announcement, and I would like to contribute. My background mixes between computation and education.

Nice to meet you all,
Nada

8 Likes

Hello dear ODK Community Members,
My name is Earnest Njih Tabah, a Public Health Physician, based in Cameroon and working for the National Yaws, Leishmaniasis, Leprosy and Buruli ulcer Control Program in the Ministry of Public Health.
I am a new ODK user, who first got involved with the tool in January 2017 within the framework of a project for the mapping of yaws in Cameroon, jointly carried out by LSHTM and our National Control Program. After this first project, I used the tool on two other projects within our program.
As a novice, I find the tool very interesting though I am still at the basic stage of understanding and mastering it.
Outside data collection, I do a lot of M&E, planning and supervision.
I still do not know how to download data from "repeat questions". Can someone out there help me out?

6 Likes

Hi CNLP2LUB_MINSANTE,

we appreciate you are here,

would you please apply your question in Support Section so we can help you.

Best Regards

2 Likes

Hello,
I am Barnabas Akumba based in Abuja, Nigeria. I have been involved in various health data projects in the country for the past 7 years. I am a fan of Open source and when I discovered ODK, I developed interest in its flexibility as a mobile data collection tool. I have used it in a few local projects and have found it wonderful. My point of focus now is to develop an ETL Process to integrate the data collected using ODK into a DHIS2 instance running on Postgres.

6 Likes

Hi all,
my name is Flo.
I am a social researcher based at the University of the Western Cape, South Africa.
My focus area is food security, particularly in the urban context.
I am currently managing a research project which aims to map out food environments in poor settlements in SA and Ghana.
ODK seems like a very useful tool for such an application, and I am a great fan of open-source applications, running a linux rig for several years now. However, I am not a coder, and am struggling with setting up my own forms.
Looking forward to helpful interactions here.
Flo

7 Likes

Hello, everyone! I am Stefanni, I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil. I am a Computer Science student, currently at my second year. I have some experience with Ruby, Python and Elixir. I did an undergraduate research last year using Arduino and Pygame to develop a game for kids with visual impairments. I have also already worked developing a Rest API just out of curiosity. I changed my career from Humanities to CS and this path has been a very exciting journey and I like sharing my experiences and learnings on my blog (http://stefannibrasil.me) and on Practical Dev(https://dev.to/steff_br). I am looking forward to learning more about working on a big team and on Open source projects. I do not have much experience, but I like to discover and learn new things, so I think that I can help. I am already reading the guide, I expect to contribute next week when I should get to know better how ODK works. The best for all!

7 Likes

Hi all, I am Sade and based in Nigeria. I am involved with the ODK community because of the developmental impact mobile data collection and analysis will have in and on my country. There is at least a mobile phone in each household and data collected from such can be used to make informed decision and hopefully accelerate developmental growth in the country. I am new to ODK and really excited about diving in and learning more. Outside data collection, I code and do a lot of academic research work.

5 Likes

Hi I am Mukti Nath Chhetri
I am based in Bhutan and working for Mountain hazelnuts(MH) as in house software developer.
MH engages planting Hazelnuts plants in Bhutan.
I use ODK for field data collection eg plant/orchard data and generate report/mgmt dashboard in php/ajax also use python for analyzing data.
my github and skype accounts are muktitcc and mukti.tcc respectively.

I do lot of tracking in the mountains.

Best,
Mukti

6 Likes

Hello ODK Community !!
I've been using ODK for... wow close to 7 years? And have received so much valuable help from this group since day 1.

I live in Florida, work for a small tech company with offices in Texas, and have co-workers spread across the US. We have done domestic and international work, with a bit of concentration in S.E. Asia. Our developers have modified android code from the ODK Collect base to the point that I need to do hand-edits to nearly every xml file I generate, and I'm ready for them to re-sync with the base ODK code to make my life easier :slightly_smiling_face: and to pick up some of the latest and greatest features that the community has added.

Personal stuffs: long-time runner and recently 'drunk the tri-coolaid.' Love Florida living, even considering the hurricane factor. Grown children, 6 grandchildren. Formerly in the automotive repair business -- a line of work even more male-dominated than tech!! I love the coding part of my job, and always encourage young women to consider programming.

Peace y'all -- R

8 Likes

Hi, I'm Ernesto Rodriguez (Bolivia).
I have been using ODK since 2016 doing testing and during this year implementing a project for my job.
I'm a systems engineer. Musician. Geek and you're welcome to ask if want to know more about me.

7 Likes

Hello everyone!

I'm Jyri Soppela, a WHO contractor and a colleague of @Gunnarroe who already introduced himself above. I've been mostly working with back-end development of our reporting service but have also developed our project's fork of Collect app. Our fork has the following additional features:

1. App polls a separately hosted service for form updates and downloads form and media files if updates are available
  2. App sends status messages to a separately hosted service about app information such as installed forms
  3. App accepts authenticated downstream messages that will be displayed as Android notifications

Our Collect fork uses GCM messaging for the features 2 and 3 and since GCM is no longer Google's recommended messaging service, we are planning to migrate to Firebase. I'd gladly exchange experiences about our work with Collect or the data collection and reporting setup available in our GitHub repo https://github.com/meerkat-code

As Gunnar said above, our work would not have been possible without the efforts of the ODK community and we'd gladly contribute more.

Cheers, Jyri

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Briefcase says fails when pulling data from server

I am Lokesh, doing PhD at RPI. Using ODK for the first time for a research Project. It has been a great platform to work with.

5 Likes

HI!
I'm Kate, based out of Washington State in the US.
My background is in Archaeology and Museums, and in that way I have a soft spot for data collection and I love working to increase access to that data!

I'm here because I recently left both of those fields of work to move into coding. But I have to be honest, I moved into coding to find a way to create my dream job collecting and sharing data in my favorite museum. :grin: I have spent the last six months learning to code with a non-profit called LaunchCode, and am excited to work with Open Data Kit as part of the Outreachy internship application, with the bold hope I might be chosen to help further this project. I am so excited to continue contributing to this and other data/museum collections OSS as part of my forever learning journey.

My GitHub can be found here.

Outside of data collection? I like to read biographies, tend vegetable and flower gardens, and bake family recipies.

Fun Fact: Cedar bark is a very versatile material. Pacific Northwest Native communities use it to build homes, canoes, dining-ware, fishing nets, diapers, blankets, clothing, baskets, cordage, tools, art, and as medicine.

9 Likes

Hi, I'm Abdoulaye as abdoul on this forum, I'm from Senegal and based in this country to. I love learning new tools for data collection and data analysis.
I've started learning ODK recently, I'm very happy to find the great community. Since I'm here @LN is helping very well.

6 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I'm Freddy from Cali, Colombia; I'm working to get position of poles and electrical infraestructure, I have skills programming for Windows with .NET, and I would like learn to program for Android.

I'm learning to work with ODK, it's and excellent tool to get data in the field, maybe my suggestions it's get the GPS raw data for make the differential correction.

6 Likes

Based at Johns Hopkins University
Interested in using ODK for time-location data collection.
ODK Rookie
I like to run, swim, and travel.
"Don't Panic"

8 Likes