Introduce yourself here!

Hi!

I'm Andrew from Stellenbosch, South Africa.
I run a consulting firm (Techairos Consulting) and started using ODK on the Abalobi project helping small-scale fishers log catch-data.

I'm a keen trail-runner, hiker, tandem-cyclist and world-traveller.

:+1: Big thumbs up :+1: to the ODK team and community for the improvements over past months - looking forward to where things are going!

5 Likes

Hi, i'm Angelo from Spain! i'm a developer and we use ODK to help people reach their aim in a lot of business and organizations! thank you very much for the ODK stuff... thanks!!!

4 Likes

Hi Everyone,
I am Anahit Tevosyan from FINCA International.

Couple of years ago FINCA created in house field data management platform ValiData, which uses statistical algorithms to check the quality of the surveys and deploys machine learning to detect anomalous behavior of the surveyors. We use ODK almost every day to collect field data from all over the world—Africa, Eurasia, Latin America and Caribbean, Middle East and South Asia.

I can’t state enough the importance of ODK as a free & open source software in the international development environment. I am thrilled by the establishment of the ODK community and more than excited with the growth of the Community!!

I am an Armenian, but living and working in DC. Currently, I am the Associate Director of Research and Client Impact at FINCA.

I don’t have free time since my after-work hours are occupied with my two sweet children, but If I had free time I would definitely spend it with them

5 Likes

My Name is Michael, i live in Switzerland and work as an engineer for manufacturing processes.
In my Holidays i Support a volunteer-organization (www.salamladc.org) with help and Money. This organization is unprofessional by purpose, to involve all Kind of People to humanitarian help, from Manager to Student.
To provide professional Service to our "customers", syrian refugees in lebanon, i implement ODK for them. Server, Forms, Devices, Maps and all around.
We do Case Management and Assessments with ODK.
So ODK is a Hobby for me :slight_smile:

What i like about the platform is the Integration and ease to use. Linked in the Google world it is incredibly easy to build up a System, aquire the data, store, publish and use it with Fusion tables. I am thrilled when i see the opportunities and the way it can help the People.

So mainly i am just here to ask questions :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hi All. I am Shylock Muyengwa, based in Harare Zimbabwe. I am a social researcher and use ODK in most of my baseline studies and evaluations. I focus on applying ODK to different contexts and always looking at how to code surveys in ways that allow enumerators to have a conservation with participants.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I'm Adam Michael Wood. I'm a technical writer and developer.
I was hired about a month ago by Nafundi to manage and write documentation for ODK.

I've been dipping my toe in the water with that project as I've finished up another assignment,
and will be devoting a lot of time to ODK Docs starting in the next week or two.

About me:

• I live in Berkeley CA.
  • I write developer and user docs for a living, and I also do some Python coding.
  • I have a wife and two kids.
  • I live at an Anglican seminary (my wife is a student), and I'm a church musician when I get the chance to be.

About docs:

• I've started a new docs repo on Github.
  • It is very bare at the moment, but stuff is coming.
  • If you are interested in contributing, please let me know.
  • More details to come.
6 Likes

Hi,

I'm a Ronald Munjoma, based in Harare, Zimbabwe.

I joined the ODK Community in 2013 when I started using ODK as a data collection tool for a Randomized Controlled Trial. Apart from the RCT I have also used ODK in other smaller projects and have given talks about Mobile Data Collection and ODK.

Currently I am not involved with a project that uses ODK but I am still actively involved on the forum, answering questions were I can.

I will be happy if projects that use ODK for data collection could cite it in their publications, may be we could make this possible by asking people to cite ODK and provide some sample wording.

5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: How do you do case management in ODK

Hi Folks,

I'm a masters student in agronomy, currently based in Kampala, Uganda, where I'm doing my thesis research on the constraints faced by coffee farmers in the adoption of climate smart agricultural practices. I also work as an independent consultant providing data analysis and research support services. Familiarity with ODK is valuable for both!

I've used ODK collect/aggregate in the field before and am very excited about the added functionality of the 2.0 Suite, despite the learning curve I'm finding somewhat of a struggle to ascend.

• Simon
4 Likes

Hello!
Greetings from Mexico City. I'm David, I'm a biologist currently working at the National University of Mexico. I found ODK three years ago when I was doing a project about recycling habits and was looking for a more efficient way of conducting surveys than paper and a spreadsheet and ODK is simply the best! being free and open source with a great community and such dedicated people really wanting to make a difference, you rock!
Today I'm helping a digital education research lab implementing ODK to apply tests at different schools. And I'm also using ODK to catalogue part of the spider collection of the zoology dept.
In my free time I like messing around things I know nothing about like programming, cooking and dancing.
I'd appreciate calling on any grammar errors you may notice.
Keep the great work!

3 Likes

Hello all!!!

My name is Rafael. I have a degree in geography from the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ) 2008, ending the master's degree in environmental management at the Universidade Federal do Pará (UFPA), both in Brazil, Living and Working in Amazon since 2006, with Geotechnologies integrated to local knowledge in Conservation Units research through participatory monitoring and diagnostic methodologies.
I have been a Geotechnologies analyst since 2001. Started my career in oil prospecting, in 2006 I was invited to participate in a large initiative to create Conservation Units in Amazonas through the State’s Secretaria de Meio Ambiente e Desenvolvimento Sustentável do Amazonas on Rede de Conservação da Amazonia Project where I started the use of participatory mapping and developed my passion for Participatory Environmental Management mainly in the methodologies creation for participatory diagnosis integrating geospatial technologies.
In 2008, I was invited, by Fundação Amazonas Sustentável (FAS), to coordinate the implementation of deforestation and forest degradation monitoring system for the Bolsa Floresta Program. In 2009, the FAS and the Instituto do Homem e do Meio Ambiente da Amazônia (Imazon) established a partnership to develop monitoring when I met the ODK and create a community based monitoring program called, Programa de Monitoramento Participativo do Desmatamento e Degradação Florestal to the Bolsa Floresta Program (PPDUC), in 2012 I participated in the Geo for Good User Summit where I presented the PPDUC with the FAS team.
I was coordinating the implementation of the PPDUC till 2015 when I started the academic master's degree in the Núcleo de Meio Ambiente (NUMA) at UFPA.
My master's project aims to delimit a proposal for the implementation of a Participatory Environmental Monitoring for Amazonian Conservation Units, where ODK and Google Earth Engine are extremely interesting tools and offers the possibility of multi scale monitoring.

Http://www.amazonia-ibam.org.br/premio-gestao-ambiental-bioma-amazonia/

Http://www.mapas.fas-amazonas.org/

5 Likes

Hello,

I am a dedicated and results-driven Public Health Epidemiologist with an interest in emergency and outbreak preparedness and response.

5 Likes

Hi All

I am Nidhi Shrivastava from India.
I started using ODK 3 years back because it was open source and easy to use. I develop xforms on my own and also setup the google app-engine for the clients .
I first used ODK in El Salvador. Then the list goes on.. In Cambodia , India and now more ...
I also Analyse, Visualize and create dashboards for creating reports for the partners (UN, OXFAM, Udyogini) I worked with.

I use R-programming, Power BI, Google Sheets to analyze and visualize datasets,

You can connect to me on skype :nidhiddn

I am looking forward to being a part in the conversation.[quote="opendatakit, post:1, topic:6671, full:true"]
Open Data Kit brings together people from around the world and across disciplines. Let’s get to know each other a bit better!

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi guys,

My name is Nyoman Ribeka (nribeka in github). I am originally from Indonesia, but I have been living in the US for the last 10 years. Currently reside near corn fields in Indiana.

I'm just trying to help out within the ODK community.

3 Likes

Hello everyone!

My name is Marcel W. Foster. I just completed my Masters of Public Health at Emory. I currently work with the Task Force for Global Health as their official "coder" to transform paper forms into smartphone accessible forms. In August I begin working full time with Deloitte as a consultant with the CDC.

Fun fact -- I'm one of the few folks working in public health who has a background in choreography. One interesting overview of the work that I did was featured in Techincally Philly -- check it out!

Still a lover of dance, when I'm not working in mHealth I tango with my amazing boyfriend.

yay! :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Kenneth Chola and I am based in Lusaka Zambia and you can find me online as kennethchola.
I got involved with ODK in 2015 when a work colleague asked me to help him code a Scale Up Nutrition (SUN) questionnaire for the World Food Programme implemented activity in a rural district west of Lusaka. It is from here that I got interested with ODK after realizing how easy and fun it was to work with XLSForms.

I am currently working as a consultant at Renavatio Business Services where we are using ODK and other platforms to collect research data. I have been involved in the design and deploying of forms to collect agribusiness data for PROFIT+ FY 2016 Outcome Survey, conducting the baseline and endline surveys of the Churches Health Association of Zambia implemented Human Papilloma Virus project. Apart from the two projects referenced above, I have used ODK on more than six projects in the past 12 months.

Some of the favorite things I do outside data collection is playing futsal and munch on smoked fish and chicken washed down with a bottle of Mosi.

3 Likes

Hello World!

I am a geologist working as an environmental consultant in the USA. I began investigating ODK as a tool for collecting environmental data in the field. I have developed an ODK project that I am looking to expand to more environmental investigation activities. Outside of the environmental field, I enjoy homebrewing, woodworking, and hiking.

4 Likes

Hi! My name is Shivam Tripathi. You can find me as shivam-tripathi on GitHub and shivam on slack. Hope to get some challenging work in the ODK community!

5 Likes

Hi, I'm Tom Smyth, creator of ELMO, which is a web app that integrates with ODK Collect.

I also co-founded Sassafras Tech Collective, which is a worker coop tech consulting firm here in Ann Arbor.

Great to be working with you all!

4 Likes

Hi all, Jeff Wishnie here. I'm the Senior Director of Platforms & Services at DIAL .

One time engineer (credited with a single commit to ODK :wink:

And in my previous role at Mercy Corps, regular implementor of ODK support field work.

I am a fan of ODK and a grouch regarding XForms .

4 Likes