Introduce yourself here!

Hi, I'm Ernesto Rodriguez (Bolivia).
I have been using ODK since 2016 doing testing and during this year implementing a project for my job.
I'm a systems engineer. Musician. Geek and you're welcome to ask if want to know more about me.

7 Likes

Hello everyone!

I'm Jyri Soppela, a WHO contractor and a colleague of @Gunnarroe who already introduced himself above. I've been mostly working with back-end development of our reporting service but have also developed our project's fork of Collect app. Our fork has the following additional features:

1. App polls a separately hosted service for form updates and downloads form and media files if updates are available
  2. App sends status messages to a separately hosted service about app information such as installed forms
  3. App accepts authenticated downstream messages that will be displayed as Android notifications

Our Collect fork uses GCM messaging for the features 2 and 3 and since GCM is no longer Google's recommended messaging service, we are planning to migrate to Firebase. I'd gladly exchange experiences about our work with Collect or the data collection and reporting setup available in our GitHub repo https://github.com/meerkat-code

As Gunnar said above, our work would not have been possible without the efforts of the ODK community and we'd gladly contribute more.

Cheers, Jyri

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Briefcase says fails when pulling data from server

I am Lokesh, doing PhD at RPI. Using ODK for the first time for a research Project. It has been a great platform to work with.

5 Likes

HI!
I'm Kate, based out of Washington State in the US.
My background is in Archaeology and Museums, and in that way I have a soft spot for data collection and I love working to increase access to that data!

I'm here because I recently left both of those fields of work to move into coding. But I have to be honest, I moved into coding to find a way to create my dream job collecting and sharing data in my favorite museum. :grin: I have spent the last six months learning to code with a non-profit called LaunchCode, and am excited to work with Open Data Kit as part of the Outreachy internship application, with the bold hope I might be chosen to help further this project. I am so excited to continue contributing to this and other data/museum collections OSS as part of my forever learning journey.

My GitHub can be found here.

Outside of data collection? I like to read biographies, tend vegetable and flower gardens, and bake family recipies.

Fun Fact: Cedar bark is a very versatile material. Pacific Northwest Native communities use it to build homes, canoes, dining-ware, fishing nets, diapers, blankets, clothing, baskets, cordage, tools, art, and as medicine.

9 Likes

Hi, I'm Abdoulaye as abdoul on this forum, I'm from Senegal and based in this country to. I love learning new tools for data collection and data analysis.
I've started learning ODK recently, I'm very happy to find the great community. Since I'm here @LN is helping very well.

6 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I'm Freddy from Cali, Colombia; I'm working to get position of poles and electrical infraestructure, I have skills programming for Windows with .NET, and I would like learn to program for Android.

I'm learning to work with ODK, it's and excellent tool to get data in the field, maybe my suggestions it's get the GPS raw data for make the differential correction.

6 Likes

Based at Johns Hopkins University
Interested in using ODK for time-location data collection.
ODK Rookie
I like to run, swim, and travel.
"Don't Panic"

8 Likes

Hi, I am Patrick from Cameroon , I work on an interactive community healthcare project using a mixture of doorstep delivery of simple interventions and filling the information gap through constant communication in THE PROXICARE PROJECT!
ODK beginner
I love football, music and scrabble (in French)

6 Likes

Hello

Je suis un tout nouveau utilisateur de ODK

J'espère continuer l'apprentissage à travers cette communauté de pratique

Cordialement

5 Likes

Hi Abel!

I am Australian but just arrived in the Philippines to help an alliance of small farmers with some of their Information systems needs. They have told me they are looking at implementing ODK so I will be trying to help them with this. It would be amazing to touch base with you to get some thoughts on your experiences :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi @Michael_D, welcome to the ODK community! Feel free to ask around on this forum. There are too many awesome people here.

If you want to notify me on a certain topic, just feel free to @tag me.

Again, welcome aboard!

3 Likes

Hi,

I am Shruti Singh, a fourth-year undergraduate student from India. I have prior experience in Java, Spring MVC, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and AngularJS. I always wanted to be a significant contributor to an open source organization in order to learn and help people around. I am looking forward to learn many good practices from ODK.

My Github Profile- https://github.com/Shruti9520

Thank you

Regards,
Shruti Singh

7 Likes

Hello ODKers,
I am Gokul Sai Chandan Seethiraju in short SGSC. I am from India . I have been working on XLSForms , ODK Aggregate , ODK Collect . I am using these tools for a project i am working on . I will try to solve some of your queries and like to discuss new topics and explore ODK in all the ways . I am a newbie . I also will put some queries in front of all. Let us discuss and build this community so that most number of people can be benefited. Looking forward to discuss new topics .

Thanks and Regards,
SGSC

9 Likes

Hi! My name is Sam Beck-Andersen, I manage a public education and outreach program that involves inspecting boats for invasive species, and talking to recreational boaters about steps they can take to reduce the spread of invasive species in the Finger Lakes Region of New York State.

7 Likes

Hello. I am a PhD student at Stanford University in Environment and Resources. I am working on a number of projects related to the impact of environmental hazards on human health in Bangladesh.

I am currently using the ODK suite of tools to collect household survey data for a study examining the health impacts of air pollution in Bangladesh, but am so far thrilled with the capabilities (and especially the open source aspects) and look forward to using it for more projects in the future!

11 Likes

Hi, I'm Tim from Fiji.

I stumbled upon ODK when looking for data collecting tools.

I hope to utilize ODK to the best I can.

Cheers,
Tim.

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Why use ODK Aggregate over Kobo Toolbox

I am Haron. Glad to join the forum, very new to ODK and looking forward to becoming an expert soon.

6 Likes

Hello All:

I have come to ODK because I am looking for a standards-based and open-source data collection tool to use in my mission-management cloud service, which has an intended global target market. I operate out of Central Virginia, USA.

For example, a probable use of this service would be an application to support the mission of "Global Disaster Preparedness and Response", linking the following types of subjects (as questions/answers) in this global mission: locations/where, endeavor/who's responsible, performer/who acts, function/what is done (e.g, mission, support function), activity/how, resource/inputs-controls-outputs-mechanism (ICOM), and required capabilities/why-when-with_what-quantities-qualities-schedule. This metamodel is represented at Mission Management Metamodel

Note that most of my experience has been on the "business" side of management consulting, and I am not experienced in coding, programming, and scripting, only touching it lightly while setting up servers, services, interfaces, etc. (If you find my effort interesting, perhaps we could collaborate on building the commercial Mission Management capability I'm describing in this intro).

I will be using one or more cloud infrastructure and platform services as my computing base. On that I will use a combined SQL, NOSQL, and Big Data database environment. On that I will use my design for a generalized management metamodel (i.e., ontology, knowledge-model, database schema) to create a foundational knowledge management service to support my generalized mission-operations lifecycle process. I will provide the means for end-users to collect and organize their content, and to extend my core mission metamodel (i.e., general knowledge metamodel and general operations lifecycle process) with their distinctive mission metamodels. Enabling this will be technologies to extract user knowledge using various semantic analysis products.

My mission management service uses many forms (now 134), in a "one to many to many" tree structure (e.g., hierarchy, outline, nested forms, subforms) so I needed a tool that would support these many linked forms, with many respondents, having many distinctive tree structures, with many interconnections between users' missions, using the cloud.

Each entry at level one would have one or more entries at level 2, and each in level 2 would have one or more entries in level 3, and so on. The core mission metamodel tree structure is currently 14 levels deep, but will probably go much deeper, and will be extended by its users to many more levels, so the completed forms must maintain their contextual linkages all the way back to the core and user-specific entries in level 1.

8 Likes