Introduce yourself here!

Hello All. I am Deepanshu Srivastava, working as Research Officer, based in Jaipur(Rajasthan),India. I am a social researcher and use ODK in most of my baseline studies and evaluations. I focus on applying ODK to different contexts and always looking at how to code surveys to try different aspects.

5 Likes

Hello,

I am Aakash Shrestha. I am from Nepal :nepal:.

I have been using ODK since 2016 for various data collection and research purposes, mostly related to municipal solid waste management.

We are now using ODK to build a municipal profile of various municipalities such that the data collection can be easily coordinated, paperless and reliable.

A huge thanks to the team of ODK!

6 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am Viome Showers and I am based in Nigeria. I got introduced to ODK during the 2014 Ebola crisis in Nigeria were I served as a research assistant. I used ODK collect to administer questionniare that was designed to assess community preparedness for Ebola virus disease. Ever since I have been using ODK for other research activities. My interest has made me acquire knowledge and now I can develop forms and configure odk aggregate server.

I am a Public Health expert and I currently do data collection, verification and analysis for a HIV/AIDS related project.

7 Likes

Hello Everyone,
I am Rick from USA. I am working as wirelesssupport service provider in USA.
Thank you

7 Likes

Hi, I’m Ramprasad, I work at BAIF Development Research Foundation (http://www.baif.org.in/) a non-profit based in Pune, India.

We, in our non-profit work on livestock breeding, tree-based farming, natural resources management, technology-led initiatives, etc. I have been using ODK since August 2016 and I am really thankful to the community for developing an open-source mobile based offline data collection platform. I am currently working on ICT led initiatives in the rural development space in India. I hope to be an active part of this community and increase its awareness in India.

I am from Bengaluru, India and I am a person with diverse interests such as arts, technology, ecology, development and co-learning. I like to undertake a lot of field visits, cycling and hiking trips, etc. More about me here: https://in.linkedin.com/in/ramprasad07.

9 Likes

Hey. I am Mohit Gupta. Working with the government of India. Trying to figure out use of ODK to improve office functioning at local level.

8 Likes

Hi everyone!
I've been using ODK since 2014, when I started using it to do a nutrition SMART survey....and then I fell in love with it, and have used it for pretty much every other project I've helped run since :grin: Health, nutrition, WASH, shelter, logistics, M&E, rapid emergency needs assessments.

I'm a Water Resources Engineer by training, so not exactly a developer/programmer per se, but have done more on the data modeling and analysis. However, loved that I could learn how to use ODK so quickly and be able to apply it so broadly. I've had the pleasure of working on a team with other members here...sheesh, I should learn how to "tag" people, shouldn't I?

Anyway, although I can build an ODK form decently enough and setup the basic systems of getting it to work, my area of expertise is probably more on the project management side, so helping people figure out the entire project cycle of data collect/cleaning/storage/analysis/visualization/decision making.

I've recently left the field because I've had a beautiful daughter, who now keeps me occupied at home. But I'm not ready to give up on the information management side of humanitarian work, so I've set up a website that I can run from home, and hopefully through forums like this be able to connect with aid workers all over the world to help do IM-type stuff, even though I'm now "stuck" in the UK :slight_smile:

If you wanted to connect:
Blog: https://www.humanitariandatasolutions.com
Twitter: @JannaRous

Some of my favorite things to do outside of data collection? Is there anything fun to do outside of data??? ummm...I'm going to try running my first triathlon this summer...that sounds like fun, no? Or maybe it just sounds like torture...:running_woman:

Fun fact: Once I got into a fist fight with a Canadian Goose. Ask me about it sometime. Those things are SCARY!

Okay, signing off for now! See you around the forum!
Janna

8 Likes

Hi,
I am Nana Hamzat from Nigeria, I am an outreachy applicant with @Shobhit_Agarwal as my mentor as I am interested in building a standalone android app. I am a newbie on this forum. I hope my mentor and this community will help me achieve my goals.
My URL is: http://github/nanahamzat.
I love exploring new ideas, that's why I stumbled on coding.
When the going gets tough, the tough keeps..... finish it yourself

8 Likes

Hello everyone. I'm Jose Pacheco and work as a volunteer for Brazilian Red Cross - Chapter Sao Paulo State.

Nowadays I'm starting to use ODK to migrate our forms from paper to digital to improve our humanitarian project data collection.

Glad to be part of this team.

6 Likes

Hello everybody.
I am Justin Mumbere, I am responsible for monitoring and evaluation in a humanitarian NGO in Chad.
It is a good opportunity for me to integrate this forum and I hope that I will contribute with the little that I know

6 Likes

Dear all,
Sorry for late introduce myself.

my name Kenneth from Hong Kong. I am working in an transportation company as IT support. I am one of the counselor of PCCN (Post Crisis Counseling Network, pccn.org)

I have completed their Level 1 training and pending for field work experience. PCCN is an NGO in Hong Kong while we are targeting people mental health especially for post crisis..

I learnt about ODK is because PCCN using paper to record any evaluation / survey, after whole day of work, counselors will need to enter all the record back to computer. I am here to study if these job can be record in a professional way, which ease to counselors, supervisor and also convenience for case analysis.

I am not very well in programming so I am working on the evaluation form by using Excel. Due to data sensitive, I setup Aggregrate on Tomcat server which running on notebook, some phases were in mind for the whole deployment.

Currently I am the only one in the group who setup / develop / training and maintain the ODK thus the progress were abit slow, with great help with ODK community members, optimistic progress were making counselors happy!

I am really appreciate everyone here to helping me out, and I will also try my best to helping anyone too!

beside ODK, I have many hobbies... I like photography, 8mm video, hiking and camping. IT is part of my life and I have setup Ubuntu / Nextcloud / OnlyOffice for my family use, and also like to refurbish some old computer equipment for someone who is needed.

Thank you again!
Kent

9 Likes

Hi all,
I am Sashank Mishra, a sophomore student in Information Technology at IIIT Allahabad, India.
I am working on Android and Java from the past one year.
I am a GSoC'18 aspirant and wish to apply to the Collect App under Open Data Kit.
I already have 2 PRs going and I am amazed by such a helpful community.
Hoping to contribute a lot!

5 Likes

Hello, World!

My name is Brighton, i'm from Zimbabwe and based in Namibia. I am a software developer. I enjoy implementing information systems to improve areas of health and social welfare. I feel like i'm a superhero. Yay! I fell in love with ODK in 2016 when i was developing data collection systems for projects in Namibia, Nepal, Thailand, and Indonesia. I went on to run ODK servers for malaria elimination surveys in South Africa, Botswana, Angola, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Fun facts: I speak a little geek. I am huge supporter of open-source. I have a private server i use as my playground. I own a small amount of cryptocurrencies for the fun of it. I still don't know why I'm not on twitter. I tried (and failed) to learn sign language years back.

10 Likes

Hello, I am Rohit, currently based in India. I am a CS undergrad and android developer. I like solving problems, thinking algorithmically and following best practices. I love open source / FOSS community and want to contribute to it. Looking forward to an interesting summer.

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: What kind of Android app

Hola. Me llamo Sergio Antonio Ochoa Martinez
Soy de Bolivia, Sucre

Me encanta desarrollar software, siempre desee apoyar en el desarrollo de un proyecto con una gran comunidad, porque lo aprendido quisiera enseñarlo a nuevos programadores y con las lineas de codigo se puede aportar al proyecto como es ODK.

Ahora por el momento estoy iniciando aprendiendo todo lo referido en ODK y espero que en un futuro pueda aportar mucho mas.

2 Likes

I am Paul Quek a retiree, helping out at Conservation Projects in Malaysia and India. Have been using ODK for a few years on standalone server now trying to install ODK on a hosted server. Hope to contribute to make ODK better for users.

4 Likes

Hi i am Aliyu Mamman Na'uzo.I am based in Nigeria.I am a paediatrician and a public health epidemiologist.I have been involved in a number of disease response.that where i had contact with odk. I like making things easier for others that is why i delve into learning more on it.To the experts here in this forum. i shall be disturbing you with alot of questions. I love watching movies for fun.

5 Likes

My name is Dickson from Tanzania .Since i was introduced to ODK few years ago, it has been a very useful tools that helps a lot in data collection.
We use ODK at our institute (Ifakara Health Institute) in different health related projects.

Happy to be part of this community!

6 Likes

Hello guys. I'm Hosam Abdelnaser from Egypt. A Third year computer engineering student. First of all I do not like to say I study computer science but I always say I adore computer science. In fact it is my passion to find a problem and spend days and even weeks enjoying trying to solve it.
Anyway, for me it's the first time to contribute to an open source organization so I'm very glad to have this opportunity contributing to Open Data Kit where I can put all my experience in software that help millions of people have better lives through providing social good organizations with a tool that helps them collect , organize and analyze data which they need much.
I'd like to say that I have a very good knowledge of OPP concepts, java, C, C++, and Git VCS. I also have some knowledge of HTML, CSS, Networking and computer architecture. I'm also a good android developer and here is my Github account: https://github.com/hossamnasser938 where you can find the simple projects I've made since I have become familiar with Git and Github.
Last I'd like to say my favorite hobby is reading. I also sometimes like to go for a walk forgetting everything that can stress me.
Hosam

8 Likes