Introduce yourself here!

Greetings.
I am Robert Serunjogi, a statistician by profession and working as a Data Manager in a CDC funded project. I have been in this field of data management since 2002. I was introduced to ODK in 2014, but the front end with just entering, pulling and exporting using ODK briefcase. I have just begun to delve deep into the design and setup of this amazing platform. I am really looking forward to learning more from this community.

4 Likes

Hello World!
This is Divyanshu Bhargava. I'm based in India. Most of the time I'm working on android development, Trying to learn and innovate new stuff.I'm a creator of an app called List it. I love working on open source projects. I'll to contribute as much as possible this summer weather I'll be selected for Gsoc or not. Will be working UI/Ux and much more. Hope we all make open source community better!

Check out my apps on playStore.
You can read my blog on Medium
You can find me on Twitter and GitHub - @divyanshub024
Happy Coding!!

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Why camelCase field names become SNAKE_CASE DB tables

Hello All,

I am Alex, a year two Computer Science student in New York. I was introduced to ODK a few months ago while doing research about HFOSS projects, and feel I'm beginning to understand the project well enough to try contributing. I also have a few questions about implementing ODK which I'm hoping I can get help with.

ODK is a broad, interesting project which poses many valuable learning opportunities for a student at my level. However, what I really find fascinating is the incredible organization that this project is maintained with.

I look forward to working with such a dedicated and knowledgeable community, and might I say, the new website is excellent!

5 Likes

Hello, Open Data Kit community!

I'm Isabel Costa, from Portugal. I'm in the final year of my master's degree in Telecommunication and Informatics Engineering and work as a part-time Android Developer.

I code mostly in Java, a bit of Kotlin, and C on my masters' thesis.
I came across ODK through the Google Summer of Code (GSoC), I'm now getting to know the project collect to see if I can contribute to the project in some way.
I would love to learn more about open source!

These are my social media links if you're interested to see what I'm up to - Github, Twitter and Medium.

6 Likes

Greetings to the ODK community. I am Matthew KOLAWOLE, a Master student in the Department of Agricultural Economics, Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife, Nigeria. I got to know about ODK in early 2017 while collecting agricultural data for a senior colleague and ever since then, i have been fascinated with it, authored several forms including the one am using for my master's project.
I still want to know more about ODK and its applicability in authoring complex survey.
Looking forward to connecting the open minded people that make up the community and learning from them.
Am glad to be here!!!

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

I'm Luana, currently living in Araras - Brazil. I've been working on mobile application development both Android native and Android and Ios hybrid using Ionic for 2+ years. I just came across ODK through Outreachy internship program (I'm applying for the summer internship). I'm getting to know the projects better and hope to start contributing very soon. I love to code and learn new things, to travel, to meet new people, to eat (to try different foods too) and to watch tv shows.
I'm very excited to be beggining my journey into the open source community. It feels good to be part of a community that through technology is helping to improve lives around the world!

6 Likes

Hi all! :wave:
I'm Marena, typically based in San Francisco, California - but I grew up in Nova Scotia, Canada :canada: I work at Mapbox on our Community team, which support non-profits and positive impact projects to build with Mapbox tools.

I started using ODK when I was doing participatory mapping projects with Indigenous and rural communities in Canada and Kenya. I have a background in community planning and land rights. I benefited from some Google Earth Outreach trainings on using ODK.

It's been a year or so since I used ODK / GeoODK but I often recommend it to other non-profits and projects that I support.

I'm at @marena_b on twitter and @marenab on github.

I look forward to engaging with the ODK community on all things geospatial/mapping - and maybe beyond too!

9 Likes

Hey @Marena -- I'm in Berkeley! Nice to see another local.

1 Like

Hiya,
I'm Michelle. I'm based in the UK, and you can generally find me shuttling back and fore between Lancaster University (where I work) and Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (where I formerly worked and have lots of collaborations). My work is mainly around (neglected) tropical diseases, and identifying areas of 'high risk' using environmental data amongst other things.

While my formal training is in analysing spatial and temporally referenced disease-related data, I've more recently delved into the world of data collection, and have run several projects in sub-Saharan Africa (Malawi & Uganda primarily, but also Ghana & Tanzania) that have involved using mobile phone data collection. Initially I started with SMS reporting, and I'm currently working on a vector surveillance project that's using ODK.

You can find out a little more about me via my website (www.focal-ntds.org) and blog (www.outofmyshell.co.uk) and you're of course very welcome to follow me on Twitter (@mappingNTDs)

Outside of work I try to flex my creative muscles either through making 'stuff' with my sewing machine or trying to make my house look a bit less like a building site. I've also recently started doing a bit of yoga to make myself a little more bendy.

I'm looking forward to becoming more involved in the ODK world!

8 Likes

Hi,
This is Nasir Ali from Pakistan. I am not programmer but a healthy user of ODK and want to learn more about it. Hope, I will learn a lot of at this forum.

Thanks

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Do you use ODK for the analysis and visualisation of data?

Hello all, I am a dentist turned data analyst, doing an MSc in Health Informatics. I was introduced to ODK during one of my modules on Telehealth.

I am using ODK for a project on the module - a pain tracker for patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis where they can record their incidences of pain and show a summarized result to their doctor during their appointments. I am struggling a bit with the visualization of data and would appreciate any tips or advice.

I will also be using ODK in my dissertation where I am creating a data collection app to be used by dentists in India while they visit rural areas in their outreach programs. I also wish to incorporate oral health education videos in the different local languages that the dentists can use during these visits.

I am originally from India, but have lived in Canada for the last 8 years. I am doing my Masters in London, UK.

I love The Beatles and I'm crazy about Harry Potter. Guess I chose the right city for my masters :wink:

10 Likes

Hello everyone, I am Ayush Mishra and i am from India. I am professionally an Electrical Engineer but my interest lies in software development, Open souce software dev and competitive programming. I look forward to contribute in ODK community for upcoming GSOC 18 .

Thank You.

6 Likes

Hi, I am Yumna from Karachi, Pakistan.
I am a Third Year student of Software Engineering, NED University.

I will be participating in the GSoC'18 for the first time. ODK is the first organization that catches my attention and bring me here.'

Mobile Application Development is my area of expertise. I have developed apps that are used to collect data using smart devices.
I am interested in ODK Collect i.e mobile app.

I used to write blogs on computer science topics, subscribe me here

Connect with me on GitHub: Yumna or find me on Twitter: Yumna_Asim

My favorite things are reading books, blogs, and programming. These three hobbies are my life-line.

6 Likes

Hello Everyone!
My name is Edidiong and because people find it very difficult to pronounce my name you can find me online as Didicodes :grin:
I'm a final year student studying computer science in Nigeria.
i got fascinated with mobile development last year when i did my Industrial training(an internship we do in Nigeria to give us an idea about the global market before graduating). Developing mobile applications has been so amazing for me that i tagged the year 2017 as one of the best years of my life because it was the year i started programming officially. i am so excited to have Open Data Kit and would apply to be an intern on GSoC 2018.
I've not used any ODK tool yet but i have read a lot about it and i have seen all its amazing impacts to the world. i cant wait to learn more about it and be an intern for ODK.

Didicodes

7 Likes

Hello, ODK community!

I'm Leonard Mulei, from Nairobi, kenya. I'm a Monitoring and Evaluation expert. I learnt about ODK through my friend. I wish to learn how to use ODK effectively in my research works. Can I get someone to guide me to learn ODK easily over here. I learn easily when I get practicals. Anyone willing to role model me please contact me via my email: Muleileonard@gmail.com

6 Likes

Hello,
I am Paul Storry, based in Bristol, England but working with the company, Quartex technologies who are based in South Africa. As a company we have been using ODK since 2015 when we stumbled across the platform when asked to assist with some construction audits.

Since then we have run numerous projects including

• Monitoring the construction of low cost housing
  • Toilet construction audits
  • Social satisfaction surveys
  • Environmental monitoring
  • Environmental audits
  • Asset management
  • Forestry stock reporting

We are ODK enthusiasts. We run our own ODK Aggregate instance with a Postgres database and have implemented our own presentation application for data validation, reporting and dashboards. We have learnt a lot over the past three years and look forward to being of assistance

8 Likes

There is an alogrithm to learn ODK and which is:

1. Read about ODK from here or from here

2. Generate your own form from here

3. Test that form on here

4. Repeat Step 1 IF GOAL != ACHIEVED

Regards,
Narendra

6 Likes

Hi all,
I am ketharan from Srilanka. I am following a Computer Science and Engineering (BSc. Eng) at university of moratuwa. I get to know the ODK community while going through the GSOC 2018 organizations. Now i am willing to work with ODK for GSOC 2018.
I am familiar with some programming languages and technologies. I am interested in data science and analytics.
You can go through my Github and you can contact me via sketharan1996@gmail.com.

5 Likes