Introduce yourself here!

Hi!
I'm Armen from Yerevan, Armenia, completing my 4th year of bachelor's program, studying Informatics and Applied Mathematics.I have 1 and half year experience in Android development.
I have found ODK while exploring GSoC'18 projects, and I found it very interesting project for me. I have already made a few contributions to ODK Collect and will be participating in the GSoC for the first time.

5 Likes

Hey guys~
My name is Yizheng Huang and I come from China , I'm a student from ShanDong University.
I founded ODK after I viewed all the GSoC projects 2018 and I was deeply attracted by its features,I think ODK can really do something for people and I believe it will become better and better.So I decided to devote all my spare time working on ODK whether I can be recruited by GSoC or not.

The skill set for myself include Android, Python, JavaScript and even Hackintosh.I have addressed one issue related to the JavaScript linked to the WebView interfaces recently and submitted my Pull Request.issue#1855 / PR#2060
And I also do some translations with language-zh (Chinese) in Transifex, which PR had been closed because of the conflicts with Transifex PR2022

If you guys want to know more about me ,you can visit my blog: my bolg
or visit my Github: huangyz0918
I have a puzzle game published in GooglePlay Store which I have done all the work by myself Link

Now I'm a part-time CTO in a social company which aims to improve the quality of charity in China.
And I think ODK Collect Application may be a good choice to collect data related to the living conditions of rural left-behind children in poor villages around the world.This is company website: boxfriends.

Anyway, I think it will be a precious experience to work with ODKers and GSoC 2018
Nice to meet you all !!

5 Likes

Hello ODK world!!

My name is Ngenge Senior, and I am a Cameroonian and I am also a final year Computer science student at the University of Buea. I am an Android/Python programmer as well. I am really new to ODK but I got to hear about ODK during a presentation by one of my course mates last year during Google I/O Extended organised in Buea,Cameroon. I got interested not just because ODK ran along my lines of development but because it is really a cool solution for remote parts of the world. My greatest wish is contributing in one way or the other to the community. Thanks

6 Likes

Hello everyone!
I am Aayushi NIgam, a sophomore from India. I am interested in Android App Development and have an intermediate level of experience in creating mobile apps.
I have recently come to know about this community while going through the projects list for Outreachy.
I liked the idea of ODK Collect and wish to work on it as in intern for Outreachy program. Looking forward to getting involved with the community and honig my skills.

6 Likes

Hi every body, my name is Mohamed Dicko alias Med and from Mali, and for whon forgot Mali, it's the country where we can find Tombouctou and Djenné, old town and sites of University of Muslim studies! So i am using the ODK since 2 years throught my job, am working as Monitoring and Evaluation in various project.

Thanks to all for their contributions and us frenchspeakers, want a forum in french!!!
Thanks ! i am here to learn not to contribute !!!

7 Likes

Hello. I am Maxwell. I work with an NGO and based in Nigeria. As a program manager for program quality, I have deliverable that require the use of ODK on daily basis. Outside work, I love sports especially football and table tennis.

7 Likes

Hello ODK members!
My name is Daria, I am from Russia, Moscow.
I am new to ODK, but it seems interesting project. I want to participate in Outreachy program and improve something in your project.
I studied computer science in Moscow State University and then worked as java software developer in company. The most tasks I did were about UI (Swing, JIDE, JavaFx). I also did something on server side.

6 Likes

salut, j'habite au Bénin un petit pays de l'Afrique de l'ouest. je suis novice dans la programmation ODK et je suis vraiment apte a apprendre et faire de ODK dans mon pays, un instrument de développement en m

6 Likes

Hi,
Am called Isaac Mugabo, a senior statistician at one of the consultancy firm.Ihave used odk for about 2years but it has really simplied consulting work.

7 Likes

Hi everybody,
I am Pawara, from Sri Lanka. Currently, I am a Computer Science and Engineering undergraduate at the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I am new to ODK. I get involved with the ODK community from GSOC. I like the project ODK technology wise as well as interest about the vision of the project. So, I am willing to contribute to the ODK and to the community. I have followed few technologies including Android and Java as well. You can see my Github and can contact me through pawaragunawardena@gmail.com.

6 Likes

Hi there,
My name is Nehitha.I am currently pursuing my 2nd year engineering in computer science.
I actually came through Google Summer of Code 2018.
I am actually very much interested in making push notification app for ODK Services.I have already worked with firebase in my previous app.

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: How to create a select one in XLSForm

Hi all,
I am Chukwuemeka Nwagu, final year student of Electronic Engineering at University of Nigeria, Nsukka. My codes live here.
This is my first in open-source. I consider myself very lucky for two reasons, first to have found out GSoC (which brought me here) and then to have discovered ODK. Why I like ODK is that it is kind of a soft landing for beginners. The community is not intimidating like others which I looked through. I have even tried to close a minor issue in the code base for Collect!
Thanks for this opportunity to collaborate, and of course, I hope to get taken for the summer and to work more here. I am already learning and hope to keep learning from everybody in this forum
-CN
PS: I love Subway Surf. I write fiction in my free time. Open-source is great because it sharpens passion.

6 Likes

Hello worl,
I am Denis Wane, from Cameroon and am in 4th year Software Engineer
I am a volunteer for more organisation like Mozilla (1year), MTN Cameroon Foundation ( 7 months) and ODK (2 months).
I started contributing to ODK Collect's source code as a Android developper to open source community in February. I will work on improving the UI/UX, backend and others tasks of the app in this summer as a part of GSoC programme.

I am very open and I learn quickly. I like to manipulate data especially for experienced economic intelligence or to set up tools that help in decision making.
With over 3 years of experience in Android Development, I think I can give the best of myself and also help anyone in this forum.
Be free to contact me on the RS:

Twitter: denis_wane
Facebook: denis wane
github: wanedenis
email: wanedenis3@gmail.com

Hoping to discuss all the cool ideas according to Android and many others about software engineering in this forum soon...

10 Likes

Welcome to ODK. Looking forward to your PRs

4 Likes

Hi all,
My name is William from Zambia.I work for a public health institute.I started using ODK in 2013 after a colleague introduced me to it.I have since used it to design and collect data on a number of research projects.
In my spare time i love to travel,sports and motorbikes.
Funfact:I enjoy doing what i do but if Motogp was serious in African ,i would have been a rider..lol

8 Likes

Hi everyone, my name is Nestor i work in Nicaragua for an United Nations agency (World Food Programme) we are working with our counterparts (government) in the deployment of great tools to collect data from different parts of the country. After several investigations (google and friends recommendatios) i found ODK and i start using it as a pilot (like a test enviroment) with google and a local server.

Now we have better understanding of the software (linux and all the packages) and we have deploy a virtual server to collect data in real time from differents parts of the country and we have had good results so far. We are collecting geographic data and info about the beneficiaries of the project.

My twitter and github is dante4U/nestor.lopez

Outside data collecting i am a software developer and database administrator, i love everything about informatics, i spend at least 1 hour of my day reading about news of IT suchs as new virus, new software, updates of microsoft,tips of everything, IoT, etc.

One fun fact could be the newest ODK server, we configure and deploy a server to collecting data and after 35 minutes the server was down, we dont know what was happen, we had 150 people sending their data and our server went down. After a lot of cup of coffee and redbulls we figure it ou that we never changed the 512MB of RAM by default :frowning: so it was a rookie error (my bad) after making the change server went alive again (lucky me) :smiley:

Regards

Nestor

9 Likes

Hello all,

I am Dedrick Kitamuka, computer scientist based in DR Congo.
My previous job gave me the opportunity of using ODK to collect data about health survey to support the ministry of health. I spent more time in using ODK (Configuring ODK collect, Building forms, managing a little bit ODK aggregate, using ODK briefcase), but I was not registered to the forum.
I am a software developper, so I spend the most part of my day in developping IT solutions and I am involved in many projects but most of them are private at bitbucket, here is my github profil

9 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I am based in San Francisco, but currently have projects in Liberia, Somalia, Afghanistan, Nigeria, and DR Congo.

I use ODK for face-to-face surveys in the field (in combination with Maps.Me so that I can send enumerators to specific locations using KML files and the GPS on their smartphones). I also use ODK for phone surveys that I conduct for UNHCR and World Bank to monitor the welfare of returned refugees and IDPs in Afghanistan.

At the moment, I am starting a small pay-as-you-go community solar company in Liberia. I plan to build all of the business ops on top of ODK -- everything to manage the sales process, accounting, and customer information. I'm running into a few roadblocks... but I think ODK will give me more control over the data than using a CRM or some other platform.

I started using ODK for a survey in Mogadishu in 2011 while I was finishing my PhD at Stanford. The past few years I've been using ODK through Ona.io, but I am excited to transition back to ODK Aggregate.

You can find me on Twitter: @nlidow

Outside of data collection I enjoy big wave surfing.

Best,
Nicholai

13 Likes

Hi everyone!

I live in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil, and I'm an Android Developer in a software outsourcing company and freelancer.

I was looking for a open source project to contribute with a social reason behind, and I'm glad to find out this one. I'm starting to get involved with collect app.

You can find me at internet as @brunoguic in all most social medias.

When I'm not coding, probably I'm with my friends or with my girlfriend. Lately I'm getting cooking class by internet, and I'm still a disaster. But I can teach you how to do a great Caipirinha!

Bests

11 Likes