Li Lin TSC Application - 2018-09-03

Name
Li Lin (@linl33)

Organization
University of Washington

What contributions (e.g., issue triage, tech support, documentation, bug fixes) have you made to the ODK community?
Over the past two years I have worked on most the current ODK 2 tools, both on the Android side and on the desktop/server side. My contributions include new features, bug fixes, and integration with other tools. In additions to my effort spend on the ODK 2 codebase, I have also worked on the documentation and provided support for our user community.

I have also occasionally worked on the build infrastructure.

How do you believe your contributions have benefited ODK?
I believe my contributions have improved the stability and usability for many of the ODK 2 tools. For example, my effort spent on containerizing Sync Endpoint gave the ODK 2 project a streamlined and standardized process of rapid server deployment. The containerized process (together with modification made to enable containerization) enabled better integration with cloud providers and other data collection/management tools.

What do you believe the top priorities for ODK are?
I believe the top priorities of ODK 2 are addressing the requests from ours users, and helping our users build their ODK 2 data collection/management solution. These priorities should be realized through adding the features that could have the great impact and providing comprehensive documentation.

How will you help the ODK community accomplish those priorities?
I will be able to help by utilizing my technical abilities and my deep understanding of the ODK 2 tools. My familiarity with the ODK 2 codebase allows me to better map out an architecture for ODK 2’s future features. In addition, it also allows me to prototype and iterate on those features rapidly.

How many hours a week can you commit to participating on the TSC?
At least 10

What other mobile data collection projects, social good projects, or open source projects are you involved with?
Most of my effort has been focused on ODK 2 but I try to help open source project by testing beta and alpha versions. I make it a habit to use the beta or alpha version of open source software so I could help identify bugs and provide bug reports.

Please share any links to public resources (e.g., resume, blog, Github) that help support your application.