Link a domain name to the machine's IP address

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.

I am using the DigitalOcean Aggregate Installation method. I have created the droplet, the domain, and the A record.

I have a domain with Hostgator, and I want to know how I link a domain name to the machine's IP address.

How do I get DigitalOcean, HostGator, and ODK to communicate?

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

Digital Ocean, Hostgator, Windows 10, Android, ODK Aggregate

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

I tried finding answers.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

Attempt to visit aggregate site.

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Hi @Ronald_Sheaks

I would advise using hostgators generic name servers as compared to private name servers. Assuming you are going to use hostgators generic namservers, the next step is to point your domains A records (and may be WWW records) to your Digital Ocean server public IP address.

Based on your control panel, choose the right tutorial and follow the steps

1 Like

Hi @Ronald_Munjoma

I appreciate your response.

"The next step is to point your domains A records to your Digital Ocean server public IP address"

I did just that. Please see attachment:

I had the floating IP from the Digital Ocean Droplet showing up in the control panel of HostGator, by copying the Digital Ocean name servers over the generic Hostgator name servers.

The problem with this is that HostGator will not allow private name servers unless you have an expensive plan, thats the only way it will work is if you spend 90$ a month on a plan.
https://www.hostgator.com/help/article/what-are-private-name-servers

So, pointing a private name server like Digital Ocean at a Domain Registrar will likely lead to failure.

I found that if you are not an IT Technician, a Computer Scientist, or a Developer, then getting this app to work can be very time consuming and cost averse.

I am going to try the Google Sheets method and hopefully I can get somewhere.

I just went the google sheets route and it worked, if anyone has any questions I can elaborate. If you are more on the GIS side then this is the best most cost effective route to go. I respect the programming side its just not my fortay.

@Ronald_Munjoma I appreciate your thoughts and help.

1 Like