ODK Briefcase v1.4.5 operated on Windows and ODK Briefcase v1.11.2 operated on Mac give different name to .csv files from same xml form and instances

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I am facing an issue with two versions ODK Briefcase production when I try to clean the instances from a same survey.
1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
Transforming several instances (xml) from a same survey with data from a begin_repeat to .csv using ODK Briefcase production v1.11.2 gives a different name to the output (.csv) than the one given to the .csv file when using ODK Briefcase production v1.4.5. Is that normal?
2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
The Briefcase production v1.4.5 is used on Windows operating system. The Briefcase production v1.11.2 is used on a Mac os.
3. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

In each instances there was several iterations (2 to 8) in the begin_repeat.

Here are the different csv names:
ODK Briefcase Production v1.4.5: survey_name_group3_q3.csv
ODK Briefcase Production v1.11.2 survey_name-q3.csv

Thank you!

Welcome to the ODK forum, @Etienne_Le_Rossignol! We're glad you're here. When you get a chance, please introduce yourself on this forum thread. I'd also encourage you to add a real picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

The only group names we remove from filenames are those belonging to non-repeat groups, so what you're reporting would be a bug. In any case, v1.11 is a very old version. Could you run Briefcase v1.17 and report back the names you get with that version? You can get it here: ODK Briefcase v1.17

Also, it would help us to have the form you're using to try to reproduce the issue. Could you attach it here, please?

Hi @ggalmazor, thanks a lot for your answer.
Yes I will take the time to introduce myself on the forum thread! And I will add a picture :slight_smile:

I downloaded ODK Briefcase v1.17 and used it to clean my instances. The name of the output.csv was the same as the one I got from ODK Briefcase Production v1.11.2. That is to say survey_name-q3.csv.

I will ask about sharing the form used to collect data.

Thank you again!

1 Like

That sounds like expected behavior. q3 is the name of your repeat, right? The group name removal that @ggalmazor mentioned was introduced since v1.4.5. This document (linked from the user docs here) has more information about repeat filenames and structure.

Is there a reason that you need to keep using Briefcase v1.4.5? What are you trying to do that requires consistent naming?

I agree with @LN's analysis. Can you confirm if q3 is a repeat group?

Hi @LN no there is no reason for us to keep using Briefcase v1.4.5. It's just that this version of ODK Briefcase is on the project computer and has never been updates.

Yes q3 is the name of my repeat.

I am not native English speaker. When you mentioned "The group name removal was introduced since v1.4.5" do you mean that already in the v1.4.5 version the group names were removed or is it a function that was introduced after ?

Bonjour @Etienne_Le_Rossignol. :blush:Désolée, ma phrase n'était pas très claire. La version v1.4.5 incluait le nom de tous les groupes intermédiaires dans les noms de fichiers ce qui pouvait donner des noms de fichiers très longs. Entre v1.4.5 et la version courante, les noms de fichiers ont changés et n'incluent que le nom du repeat maintenant, comme documenté. Je ne me souviens pas exactement de quand le changement a été fait.

My wording was not very clear. Version 1.54 included the names of all intermediary groups in the filenames which could result in very long filenames. Between v1.4.5 and the current version, the filenames changed to only include the repeat name now, as documented. I don't remember exactly when the change happened.

@LN thanks a lot!

Happy to know that it is the expected behavior. We will update the Briefcase on the project computer soon to avoid this sort of confusion.

2 Likes