ODK Central v0.3 Beta

odk-central

(Yaw Anokwa) #1

Central betas are an opportunity to get community feedback on ongoing work, so head to https://docs.opendatakit.org/central-intro and follow the instructions to try it out on our sandbox or your own machine!

The highlights for this release are:

• Upload one or more attachments by prompt
  • Infinitely scroll the response table
  • Self-update account details
  • Added crash reporting

Thanks to the great feedback from @Mariano_Corzo_Toscan, @Felix_Mutua, @dr_michaelmarks, @MatthewMac, we've also made other improvements.

• Better support for self-signed certs
  • Remove date header check for OpenRosa requests
  • Prevented deleted forms form appearing in the form listing
  • User names are no longer case sensitive
  • Decode XML entities for Briefcase/OData output

I encourage you to try Central and put your feedback in a comment below :point_down: We are particularly interested in answers to the following questions.

1. What, if anything, was confusing?
  2. What missing feature is preventing you from using this for your next project?

Missing data on the Exported CSV
Error with new account creation ODK Central
(Michael Marks) #2

Without even testing I can tell you a few central components missing from our end to replace Aggregate with Central at LSHTM

1) Support for encryption

• This is needed for health research projects
  • Especially in the EU given GDPR

2) Pulls with Briefcase

• Because we use this for automated analysis with R

3) Remove old users

• Because we have loads of projects and the list gets long if we can't delete people

4) More control over user rights

• Because some people should be able to download data but not create new accounts, delete forms etc

5) Enketo support

• Because it is super useful and sometimes web data colleciton is needed

(Felix Mutua) #3

Noted..... Thanks.

Has the following been included:

1. Deleting of app users been implemented

2. Including a field for the app user on the csv?

(Matthew White) #4

Thank you for your feedback, @dr_michaelmarks! The features you mention are definitely all important, and we're aiming to implement them. We've spent part of this week planning our next couple of releases, which will include more project management functionality. As we roll that out, I think we'll have more functionality around (3) and (4). We're planning to continue releasing new versions regularly, and as we do so, I think we'll be striving to both implement functionality that already exists in Aggregate (such as user deletion) and roll out new functionality (such as project management).

@Felix_Mutua, as part of that new project management functionality, there will be improvements to how app users are organized. Those improvements should help reduce the number of app users you see on a single page. In addition, we may also hide revoked app users in the list by default. Would that be useful?

As part of the next release, we're also planning to add the app user name to the CSV.

(Odil) #5

For those who is missing publish to Google sheet function from ODK Aggregate. A good script that can read OData feed from ODK Central and bring to your Google sheet can be found in GitHub. Just replace row 111:

var odata_fetch_url = odataurl + table_name_selected + 'S';

with:

var odata_fetch_url = odataurl + table_name_selected;

(Aurelio) #6

Is there a public Roadmap for Central available?

(poVoq) #7

I would really like to see a way to use ODK Central with one of the qGIS plugins. Preferrably this one that also allows simple form design: https://github.com/shivareddyiirs/QRealTime/issues/11

Edit: looks like it is actually working: QRealTime: A QGIS plug-in for ODK