Following up on our last release which introduced Projects to Central, for v0.5 we are adding role-based permissioning. In short, there are now three tiers of web users in the Central administration panel:
- Newly created Web Users are no longer privileged, and they can't really do much apart from log in and update their profile and password.
- But, web users may now be assigned as Project Managers on particular projects, which grants them the right to create forms, change form and project settings, create and manage app users, and all other project-related work, but only for the projects they are assigned to.
- All existing web users are Administrators, who may perform any action on the server, including all Projects. New in v0.5 is the ability to decide who should and should not be an Administrator.
We hope that between the ability to partition your forms by project and tighter control over per-project permissions and roles, you'll be able to better manage your ODK-related staff and installations.
For more information about roles, please read this doc.
We plan to continue expanding both Projects and Roles in future releases; you can continue to find details about our plans for Projects in this issue and we plan on adding more types of roles and possibly some kind of role customization in the future. We know, for instance, that it would be useful to have some kind of read-only role for allowing analysts and third parties access to submission data. If you have thoughts and feedback about either of these work areas, please leave a comment below!
Thanks in part to feedback from our users and contributions from community developers, we have made the following improvements:
- Administrators are now able to update any user profile. Only the user may directly set their own password.
- Project names may now be edited by Administrators and Project Managers.
- Users may now be retired, which logs them out and removes them from the server, but leaves some of their information intact so that old auditing information (ex: "who created this form?") is still kept.
- Projects may now be archived, which cleans the out to the bottom of the Projects list and makes them mostly read-only.
- Non-integer IDs in API requests now yield a reasonable error message rather than a crash (#182; contribution by @Akshay_Patel).
- Conflicting IDs upon resource creation (eg
xmlFormId) now yields a
409rather than a
As always, we have updated our User Documentation and Developer/API Documentation for the latest changes. New to the API docs is the Changelog, which notes additions, breaking changes, and other things of note for each major release.
We encourage you to try Central and put your feedback in a comment below We are particularly interested in answers to the following questions.
- What, if anything, was confusing?
- What missing feature is preventing you from using this for your next project?