What is the problem? Please be detailed.
Hi ODK community,
I am using odk form, built in xls and using xls2xform to export it as xml. Our data collecting is about trees in a tropical forest and there is several particularities that we implemented in xlsform:
- populated form with previous data (old census) using a .csv file
- svg figure to select subplots (operational areas) as a question, selecting svg id.
- svg figure for each subplots with previous mapped trees used as question to select tree (svg id) and confirm mapping
- svg figure for mapping new trees
- repeated questions for subplots, trees ans stems (trees with more than one stem)
6 repeated question for trees that where mapped in previous census but not found , at the end of each subplot to make sure the field team look for it
- All processes is done offline: load forms into ODK collect, exporting (ODK briefcase), merge data, storage an analysing
Despite this particularities, i managed to build the form and is working. During a field working day the team are able to do one plot (16 subplots) with 200 trees, or even more. The problem is that when we try to save the form, after a working day, odk collect is taking too long to save. Several hours even days for saving just one day of work. There is no error message or warning, only keeping showing the message "validating answers" (or something like it, we are using portuguese language form!).
What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
The last survey data spent more than one day to save built a 300 KiB xml file in the Instance folder inside odk device directory . The device is a samsung SM-T385M, one of the best one that one can get in Brazil market, and we do not have memory problems. The ODK collect is version v1.18.1
Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.
The below link has our form (xls, xml and media). Media for two plots A00 and A01 (to able to see maps during the survey one should select column "A" and line "00" or "01"at the beginning of the form).
I have spend several months working to build the odk collect form and to trainnning team to use it, and now we are loosing data and time. I do not want to go back to paper, some one could help and take a look to see if there is any wrong in the form? Should I give up to use some of the functionalities to make form more efficient to save? Any suggestions is wellcome!