ODK Collect v1.15 Beta

ODK Collect betas are an opportunity to get community feedback on upcoming releases. If you have an ongoing data collection campaign, we recommend quickly verifying part of your form on a test device. The release will be delayed until all reported issues are fixed.

Joining the beta program
To join the beta program, find ODK Collect in the Play Store and scroll all the way down. Please don't join the beta with a device or account actively used for data collection! In particular, note that joining the beta is account-based. If you use the same Google account across multiple devices, do not join the beta with that account.

Leaving the beta program
You can leave the beta program from the bottom of the Play Store page at any time. Once you leave, you will get the next production update when it is released. If you need to go back to the previous production release, uninstall and reinstall the app. Your settings will be reset but your forms will remain (though backups are always recommended).

What to check in this release
This is a big release with a lot of new functionality! The important changes to verify are:

• Dark theme
    • Enable at General Settings > User interface > Theme
  • Form updates trigger notifications and background downloads
    • Enable at General Settings > Form management > Form updates
  • Attach any file to form with question type: file
  • Geopoint dialog shows satellites used and time elapsed for troubleshooting
  • Altitude and accuracy columns added for geopoints in Google Sheets

If you have some time, please also verify the other changes in the release notes:

Unlike our usual betas that run for a week, this one will run for two weeks because there are a lot of changes in this release.

3 Likes

Hi,

I am enrolled in beta testing for ODK Collect app. I recently got an upgrade in playstore for v 1.15.0 beta. The app has some bug, where it crashes when a date prompt selects a date. I need to revert back to older stable version. How to do it?

Regards,
Saad

1 Like

@Saad See the "Leaving the beta program" section at ODK Collect v1.15 Beta.

Hello. After update to 1.15 beta, I have the same bug. After choose the first answer in my form, app just collapsed.

@saad, @Balazs_Antal Thanks so much for taking part in the beta and for reporting an issue! We have identified the source of the date problem and are working to get it fixed.

@Balazs_Antal is your first question also a date question or is it of a different type?

@LN No, this is a select_one type with quick and search appearance attribute. We using it since last year, so the form itself is kind of ok. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have tested this feature and noticed the following.

1. The background download works perfect.
  2. I think there is an issue with update notification, i have tried to update the form multiple times, and waited for the notification, it happen once, not in other instances.

My device is samsung s6 edge with android 7.0. I set the trigger update in 15min.

With the trigger time interval, i think this feature if implemented on application start, will be more helpful, not just the interval checks.

1 Like

I have also installed the sample form in default url, the app crushes after the input text. From the web form , the following question is of media type.

1 Like

Hi All
Just testing the dark theme and see a couple of possibilities to improve clarity.

1. When using geopoint with map, the zoom to current location looks a bit too dim
  2. Also when using select_one with minimal appearance the remove response option is possibly a littlw too dim.
  3. Lastly, when using select one with auto advance, the auto asvance symbols are a little dim.

All a bit subjective as all work perfectly well, but I hope this is useful feedback.
3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, @DavidM! The first and last screens look reasonable to me, but I agree that the select_one with minimal could be a little lighter since it's a pop up. I've filed an issue to fix it at https://github.com/opendatakit/collect/issues/2213.

@Balazs_Antal Could you share the form publicly or if it's private, would it be possible to share a 1-2 question that causes the problem?

I tried to reproduce it with a select_one with the "quick search" and "search quick" and both did not crash.

@dicksonsamwel For the form crashing, can you please describe which form on the default server you are using, what question it crashes on, and what you inputted? If you have a screenshot, that might be easier.

As far as notifications, you will only get a single notification for each form version. Once you dismiss the update for that version, you will not get that notification again. Is that the behavior you are seeing?

Hi @yanokwa

Refer my previous post am using sample form. See this video

For notification, i was expecting that, but i update my form version 3 times differently, i got the notification the first time only.

1 Like

@yanokwa Sure! Here is all the files in the biotikaForm_2018_BfNPI_HUN.zip (24.3 KB)
. I can also give You account for our server, so You can download the form from there but strictly privately. If you need an account, please email me to antal@bfnp.hu

Thank You!
Balázs

1 Like

@Balazs_Antal and @dicksonsamwel I've been able to reproduce the error! I believe it's the same issue that @LN tracked down. It's been patched at https://github.com/opendatakit/javarosa/pull/316 and it's going through our internal testing right now and it'll be fixed in the next beta. The form and the video were very helpful to reproduce the issue, so thank you!

3 Likes

Hi All
For me the app is crashing every time I go to Admin Settings - Import/Export settings. I am using an LG G5 running android 7.0 and ODK beta 1.15

1 Like

It's fixed and will be ok in the next beta.

1 Like

@dicksonsamwel @Balazs_Antal @DavidM v1.15-Beta.1 is out on the Play Store and it fixes the crashes you reported. Please try it and confirm! Thanks to @ggalmazor, @Grzesiek2010 and @LN for their fast response to these reports.

Is anyone else only getting a single notification when they update the form version multiple times?

3 Likes

(Your cat meme was so lonley here. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Hi,

I tested file widget with a Samsung galaxy S5 (Android 6.0.1) .

What I saw is that by default my phone look at recent file and in this case got a Google Drive folder displaying an error. I move back to my local drive at it was OK. My suggestion, if it is possible, is to let upload file from drive in addition to local.

Testing file widget

1 Like