ODK Collect v1.17 Beta

ODK Collect betas are an opportunity to get community feedback on upcoming releases. If you have an ongoing data collection campaign, we recommend quickly verifying your form on a test device. The release will be delayed until all reported issues are fixed.

Joining the beta program
To join the beta program, find ODK Collect in the Play Store and scroll all the way down. Please don't join the beta with a device or account actively used for data collection! In particular, note that joining the beta is account-based. If you use the same Google account across multiple devices, do not join the beta with that account.

Leaving the beta program
You can leave the beta program from the bottom of the Play Store page at any time. Once you leave, you will get the next production update when it is released. If you need to go back to the previous production release, uninstall and reinstall the app. Your settings will be reset but your forms will remain (though backups are always recommended).

What to check in this release
This release includes several behind-the-scenes updates to comply with Play Store requirements. We encourage you to try some of the common tasks you perform with Collect on this beta to make sure everything works as expected. In particular, all of the networking functionality has changed so please try downloading and submitting forms to your servers.

• On Android 6.0+ permissions for accessing storage, GPS, photos, microphone, Google accounts, SMS and phone properties will be asked for when those resources are accessed
  • Setting to choose between SMS and Internet submission on send screen (General Settings > Server > Submission transport > Send submissions via Select on Send)
  • Dramatic speed increases for select ones with many options
  • Warning for forms that use current() in choice filters
  • front appearance to scan barcode using front camera @andhulthen

Some needed feedback:

• Are the permission prompts clear? All data collectors using Android 6.0+ will need to accept permissions after they upgrade.
  • Is the larger text for range questions easier to use? @seewhy
  • Are select one questions with many options faster to load and scroll through? @dicksonsamwel

Extra testing
If you have some time, please also verify the other changes in the release notes:

The intended release date is September 23rd. We may publish a second beta before then if needed. Thanks to all beta testers!

2 Likes

Thanks to the beta testers who have been trying this version out! I'm seeing some concerning crash logs on app load (issue filed at https://github.com/opendatakit/collect/issues/2542). It would be helpful if someone who has experienced this could share what happened and details like their Android version and device type. Also helpful would be Play Services version.

Hi Helene
One issue I have found with ODK Collect v1.17.0 beta.0 - will not connect to Aggregate Server (v1.16.4 can connect to same server).
Aggregate details: v1.6.0 running http (not https)
Account Type: ODK local on the Aggregate server

Behaviour: When GET BLANK FORM, I get the message:
Server Requires Authentication
Invalid username or password for server: http://......
... the prompt will not accept correct credentials

When downgrading to Collect v1.16.4 the behaviour works as expected.

1 Like

Firs of all, the speed increasing is amazing!!! Much better for big lists. Thank You all!

@DavidM I'm using the same version of Collect, but it working properly.Is possible that just misspelled Your user name and/or password? Sometimes the smallest mistake causes the biggest challenge. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Do you use a port number in your server URL? If so it might be the issue we know https://github.com/opendatakit/collect/issues/2541
could you confirm?

1 Like

We have just published v1.17-beta.1 to the Play Store. Thanks so much to all who have tried this and provided feedback. Special shoutout to @Balazs_Antal for the first release meme ever. :smiley: :smiley: :tada:

@DavidM, it should fix your connectivity issue. If not, please provide more detail about the server URL you are using. Ideally you can share it as you type it in. If not, sharing the structure of it would be really helpful (for example: http://word.word.word:port/word).

We think we have a fix for the launch crash I mentioned at ODK Collect v1.17 Beta - #2 by LN but aren't sure since we haven't been able to reproduce it. If anyone has experienced a crash, please let us know right away.

2 Likes

Hi @LN,

I have just been able to test the beta, indeed there is great improvements in the select one questions with many options. Nice work to the developer's team.

Concerning the permission prompts, i thinks it would have been more convenient if all permissions prompts occur on first launch. This would easy configuration process if there are multiple devices to be configured. Just a thought ..

Regards

Dickson.

1 Like

It's not only select one but select multiple too.

Thanks @Grzesiek2010 for that info.

I have just noticed an issue with for a form with media attachment, (beta 1), the form downloads successfully but the media files (csv) don`t come, resulting to error.
I have tested on a Samsung s6 with android ver 7.0.

When i push the form manually it works.

Is It an issue with the beta version and everything works well on 1.16.4. Could you provide more info or maybe even attach your form?

Hi @Grzesiek2010

My apologize , it was my own error / mistake. I have multiple odk aggregate instances. I thought i was using instance A, come to realize i was using instance B. I was just importing a QR generated code.

I have confirmed no issue, everything is working as expected.

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with you but unfortunately this is no longer allowed by Android. To remain in the Play Store we have to update several things to “the new Android way”. These changes are generally very good for direct-to-consumer apps but inconvenient for apps like Collect which are deployed to enumerator fleets.

1 Like

Both scanned from a working phone v16.4 and also entered manually. Port is 8080 and entered. I will try again on Monday with v17.0b1 and update.