ODK Collect betas are an opportunity to get community feedback on upcoming releases. If you have an ongoing data collection campaign, we recommend quickly verifying your form on a test device. The release will be delayed until all reported issues are fixed.
Joining the beta program
To join the beta program, find ODK Collect in the Play Store on your device (not in the web browser) and scroll all the way down. Please don't join the beta with a device or account actively used for data collection! In particular, note that joining the beta is account-based. If you use the same Google account across multiple devices, do not join the beta with that account.
Leaving the beta program
You can leave the beta program from the bottom of the Play Store at any time. Once you leave, you will get the next production update when it is released. If you need to go back to the previous production release, uninstall and reinstall the app. Your settings will be reset but your forms will remain (though backups are always recommended).
What to check in this release
Playing audio from question or choice labels has been fully re-implemented to fix several bugs, use cleaner icons and and better support autoplay! If you use audio in your forms, please be sure to check those forms with the beta. If you haven't used audio in your forms before, see the documentation.
Other things to verify in this beta:
- Selects with choice filters now load more quickly
- Typography and spacing follows Material Design Guidelines for about, settings and form list screens
- Autoplaying should work for all attached audio - Autoplay eventually crashes survey @marichaf
jr:choice-nameshould now work with relative references - Jr:choice-name doesn't give a value when called from inside a repeat group @Rusti @mugambii
- Time questions should now have fewer off by one problems caused by daylight savings time - ODK Collect: Time in Repeat Changes on Submit @Roger (we still recommend using a date/time question or a select as described in that thread)
- Labels are now displayed entirely in minimal selects @Jeanb
If you have some time, please also verify the other changes in the release notes:
If betas go well, the release will go out on October 16. Thanks to all testers for your help!