ODK Collect v1.26 Beta: simplified repeat dialog language

ODK Collect betas are an opportunity to get community feedback on upcoming releases. If you have an ongoing data collection campaign, we recommend quickly verifying your form on a test device. The release will be delayed until all reported issues are fixed.

Joining the beta program
To join the beta program, find ODK Collect in the Play Store on your device (not in the web browser) and scroll all the way down. Please don't join the beta with a device or account actively used for data collection! In particular, note that joining the beta is account-based. If you use the same Google account across multiple devices, do not join the beta with that account.

Leaving the beta program
You can leave the beta program from the bottom of the Play Store at any time. Once you leave, you will get the next production update when it is released. If you need to go back to the previous production release, uninstall and reinstall the app. Your settings will be reset but your forms will remain (though backups are always recommended).

What to check in this release

• Simplified repeat dialog language @mathieubossaert @tomsmyth
  • Slight visual changes to question hints (no more italics, smaller font) and question labels (support for all markdown including bold @danbjoseph )

Thanks to all beta testers for your help!

4 Likes

works like a charm :slight_smile:

1 Like

Simplified indeed, nice work.

Just a thought, on how to improve more the button alignment. I think if the buttons were aligned center , will create more room space for each button, hence filling the space. In bigger screen devices this will really improve the experience.

See the image in this link: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30743038/align-alertdialog-buttons-to-center

Screenshot from 8 inch screen.

Works really well ... I now need to review what I actually called my repeat groups before upgrading users as the name is now relevant :wink:

1 Like

Hmm this is interesting feedback! How is the experience for you at the moment on bigger devices?

@seadowg

Thanks. It is fine, something just we are living with. We mostly use tablets of 7 to 10.1 inch.
With bigger devices, there are some spaces that can be utilized.

@mathieubossaert C'est moi qui ai fait la traduction en français et je me rends compte que j'ai oublié de me servir de « »! :woman_facepalming:t2: Ça serait mieux, non?

Thank you for that, @dicksonsamwel! @seadowg, should dialogs perhaps be narrower on large screens? Does Material Design say anything about that?

Plutôt que "" ? Alors oui l'Académie française pourrait blâmer l'utilisation des "" plutôt que des guillements « » :wink:
Mais il pourrait aussi ne pas y en avoir du tout en fait.

1 Like

C'est corrigé!

For non-French speakers who wondered what that was about -- French is supposed to use « » for quotes. I'm going to get a fine from the Académie française! :smile:

@mathieubossaert is pointing out that perhaps the quotes are unnecessary. I'm glad someone is bringing this up. @seadowg and I thought it was valuable to separate user-defined text since we can't guarantee that the sentence will read well. Sometimes users have tried to compensate for the previously-confusing dialog text by adding more words to their repeat name. For example Add add a turtle? is really strange. Add "add a turtle"? at least suggests that the phrase is not default Collect text. I don't feel very strongly about this and am interested in what others think.

1 Like

Was just looking at that! As far as I know there isn't a different style for larger screens (here's docs for confirmation and on dialogs).

Are enumerators having trouble with the dialog in some way or is it just that it looks a little awkward on larger screens?

I would suggest (having used a re-built Collect with custom string resources for a while now) that the button choices be simplified to just "No" and "Yes". They are instantly recognizable, even for less than native speakers who are using the form and eliminate the "pause" while they parse the button text. I have also found it useful to keep the quotes around the repeat name

1 Like

Thanks for that feedback and for sharing your experience, @lowly!

We are trying to follow design guidelines and specifically Material Design (see e.g. this article) as much as possible moving forward. In this case, the recommendation is that button names should be verbs. You're right that someone who already expects a repeat dialog and knows what the text says can easily use Yes and No buttons but they're harder to use when the dialog is new.

1 Like