ODK Collect v1.8.0 hid settings menu

hi, kindly support, I have downloaded ODK Collect on several android devices but none has the setting menu button and therefore cannot proceed with server setting.

Hi,
sorry for this issue we are working on it and we are going to release v1.8.1 as soon as possible.

The new app update does not show the 'settings' menu which are represented by 3 dots on the top right corner of the main menu. This is the settings menu which shows 'About', 'General Settings', and 'Admin Settings'.

This error appears on my device, an Android 7.1.1 updated One Plus 3 device, running the latest OxygenOS version 4.1.6.
It does not appear on the devices of our field assistants using the app on a Xiaomi Redmi 4A.

I'm attaching a screenshot of my device, the One Plus 3, with the missing settings menu.

Hi,
thanks for reporting this issue as I said ODK Collect v1.8.0 hid settings menu - #2 by Grzesiek2010 we are going to fix it soon.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: ODK Collect v1.8.0 hid settings menu

@davidkarl
As I said we are working on this but we can't reproduce the issue using our devices so we have problems with testing... in spite I believe we have fix for it. It would be very very helpful if you can confirm that now everything is ok using this test app:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_wzUZEzedVYWpyb1pONWRpM1k/view?usp=sharing

As I said it's only a test app so please use it only to confirm that everything is ok.

1 Like

@Vanubhav Can you please try the test app that Grzegorz has posted and see if it works?

Thank you very much for reporting this issue and providing details and screenshots @Vanubhav and @davidkarl! Sometimes user interface behavior is very device or Android version specific so it can be hard to catch. Your detailed reports are what allow us to fix any problems!

As @Grzesiek2010 has mentioned, no one on the developer team is able to reproduce this problem yet which makes verifying fixes very difficult. If you can, please do download the file that @Grzesiek2010 shared above and transfer it onto your phone. You should then be able to tap it to install it.

Thank you @Grzesiek2010 @mmarciniak90 and @Shobhit_Agarwal for working hard on this fix. Let's wait about 12 hours for feedback and then release 1.8.1.

@Vanubhav and @davidkarl please consider joining the beta program with some of your test (non-field) devices so that you can report these kinds of problems before the official update is released. Beta testers are a very important part of the ODK community!

@yanokwa, @LN, @Grzesiek2010

That was really quick, thanks!
I've installed the test app posted by @Grzesiek2010, and it seems to have fixed the issue.
I have not tried to link the device to our server or check it with any forms, but the settings menu has reappeared, and I'm able to access and change the settings under it.

Screenshot of the test app:

Can't wait for v1.8.1!

Many thanks for that update, @Vanubhav! Most maintainers are at the convening today but we will try to make time for the patch release this evening.

@Vanubhav and @davidkarl v1.8.1 is now in the Play Store and should fix the issue.

1 Like