On-screen Tap counter for multiple options

1. What is the general goal of the feature?
The feature is to allow a question where one needs a kind of tally for the observed features. One would have a screen showing all options and a single tap "logs" an observation without the screen "moving" away until the user swipes forward.

2. What are some example use cases for this feature?
Something like roadside traffic counts. The accompanying information like name of enumerator, coordinates, etc all work perfectly already. This would be for the vehicle types. So you'd have a screen with the various options (ideally like tiles of the 4, 5, or whatever number of options) and whenever say a Truck passes, the enumerator just taps at the appropriate tile and it "logs" a "count". 50 different vehicles later, and 50 different" taps" later, you have a "background" log of all the taps.
The data could then be sent to aggregate and you'd have the data with say a column for Truck with 15 and SUV 20, etc. where each number corresponds to all the taps on a specific tile.
Am sure there's several scenarios where this kind of tally survey could be used.
Makes sense?
I really wish you guys can make sense of this ramble...

3. What can you contribute to making this feature a reality?
I am nothing in the way of a developer not even money but am willing to do the real world tests.
Many thanks in advance for the responses and if there's a suggestion for a work-around, there are a million times welcome!

Have you checked if Incremental Counter fix your need. https://docs.opendatakit.org/launch-apps-from-collect/ explains how to use.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. I hadn't stumbled upon that yet but let me look through and revert.
Thanks again

You could try something like I have implemented in the attached file. The form keeps going through a repeat loop without swiping forward until you indicate it is the final item.
tap_count.xml (3.2 KB) tap_count.xlsx (13.4 KB)

1 Like

Hi thanks! It's almost the first option i did. The various options "tapped" get sent to the server as an "independent" table seen by clicking "view"
1 2
And i've already used this.
Now if there's a way where the options become columns where under each column is the number of times it was tapped...that'd be wonderful!
Thanks again, I really appreciate the response.

I have modified my example to show how that might be done

tap_count.xlsx (14.2 KB)
tap_count.xml (6.0 KB)

1 Like

Yep!... Quite a work-around but yes, we'll be able to deliver with this!!
I thank you Paul!