Project Management Committee (PMC) meeting notes

March 5, 2019

All @PMC members were present.

  • ODK 1

    • Collect: v1.20 out and stable. Big release with Location tracking, new form hierarchy, disabled SMS, geo changes.
      • Next up: More geo, previous values.
    • Aggregate: v2.0.1 out. Big release with deprecations for GAE.
      • Next up: More cloud provider support, cleaning up docs, migration story, etc.
    • Briefcase: v1.14 start from last that saves a lot of time.
      • Next up: New backing database.
    • Central: Projects support has shipped!
      • Next up: Refinement of projects.
    • Build: Release to fix some long standing bugs coming out this week.
    • XLSForm: pyxform changes to support location tracking.
    • JavaRosa: Benchmarking work is starting.
    • TSC
      • New election process worked well and has been documented
      • Two have stepped down, one has been added.
      • Taking on more higher level issues (funding, marketplace, onboarding projects, etc)
    • GSoC: JavaRosa and skunkworks-crow (née Share). Current traction seems to be around crow.
  • ODK 2

    • Upcoming releases - February release delayed to March.
    • Security updates
    • Submit alpha release
    • Bug fixes
    • TSC: Working on forming a roadmap
    • GSoC: Make sure folks are in Slack
  • PMC

    • Timelines: March 31st is the deadline. Not looking good.
    • Naming update proposals
      • Everything should have a unique name
      • Open Data Kit becomes the umbrella and we have ODK and $name
      • $name has a unique name, we remove 1 from everything else.
        • Consensus on this plan.
      • Next steps
        • Drop 1 name. Rename with/without space. In mean time TSCs still be called TSC 1 and TSC 2 until brainstorming/discussion completes.
        • We can start pull requests for governance and website.
        • Yaw will lead actual renaming process.
        • Waylon lead on the brainstorming process and messaging. Coordinate with Yaw.
    • Overall governance
      • Waylon has looked at Linux, Apache, Docker. Will email out findings.
      • Things to think about
        • Pay to play vs not
        • Advisory/independent people having a vote
        • Most have representation in two tier structure
      • Yaw will email Kobo to ask re governance
      • Yaw do his own governance search
      • Haven’t heard back from Michael
    • It’d be nice to have a community update out before end of March.
      • Yaw work with Waylon to do public announcement.

April 16, 2019

All @PMC members were present.

May 21, 2019

All @PMC members were present.

  • ODK

    • Collect: v1.22 beta is out. Logic for many question on same screen, vector maps, audit logging
    • Central: Block 5 is out with role-based permissions. Block 6 will add encryption.
    • Build: Minor fixes shipping soon.
    • Briefcase: Minor fixes shipping soon.
    • JavaRosa: Performance improvements exploration
    • TSC: Adopted Tool Governance for adding/removing ODK tools.
  • ODK-X

    • Release 2.1.3 scheduled for next week
      • Name changes to ODK-X
      • Added swipe to Survey
      • Alpha release of Submit
    • Working on a new landing page for Tool Suite X to encourage more participation
      • Revise documentation on readmes and docs
      • Trying to retire opendatakit/opendatakit wiki
  • Overall

    • GSoC: Encourage more working in public
    • GSoD: Will likely require active recruiting
    • Marketplace: Marketplace Rules have shipped
    • Providers: List of individuals (determined by forum) and organizations (determined by TSC). Idea needs community review.
    • Convening: In the fall. Focus on day-to-day work.
    • New PMC governance doc is ready for Waylon to review
      • Designed to be narrow and similar to TSC governance
  • Next steps

    • Waylon will review Governance today and offer feedback tomorrow.
    • Yaw will send Governance to TSCs for initial feedback Thursday.
    • Yaw: Work on convening (Dates, location)
    • Yaw/Waylon: Agenda and invitees list for each TSC.
    • Yaw: Get community feedback on providers and send in PR
    • Yaw: Move remaining issues queue
    • Yaw: Move acknowledgements to website

June 18, 2019

All @PMC members were present.

  • ODK

    • Collect: v1.22 is out. Multi questions on screen, vector maps, audit logging. Next: offline layers, reference last-saved, setlocation.
    • Central: v0.6 is in progress. Server side auditing, encryption, initial form versioning.
    • Briefcase: v1.16 beta coming. Central support, perf improvements.
    • Build: Minor fixes coming soon
    • JavaRosa: Perf improvements ongoing
    • TSC: New Lazy consensus guidelines to speed up decision making
  • ODK-X

    • v2.1.3 is out. Alpha release of Submit, Changed tool names.
    • Landing page and process improvements
    • Docs rename - left is the program makefile, etc
    • Plan for wiki - we have spreadsheet for transferring 2-5 left pages left.
  • Overall

    • GSoC: Both students seem to be moving along OK
    • GSoD: Not getting a lot of traction
    • Providers list has shipped at http://opendatakit.org/providers
    • Convening
      • Tentative outcomes look good
      • Initial invites have been sent out. 17/33 responses. List to funder by 21st. Next round of invites by July 6th.
    • Governance:
      • Balancing representation and oversight. We were supposed to have a call, but travel and convening work was priority, so @yanokwa didn’t push. Propose a call next Tuesday at 9 am for interested parties. Evenings are fine.
      • In 3/2 proposal, what is majority vote vs super-majority vote: Undetermined.
      • Non-voting member. Who picks the first one (either PMC).
        * Any idea who that might be: Someone from Apache, Mozilla, etc.
        * Do they need to participate in calls and does that make them less independent: Only monthly calls for a year.
    • Next steps
      • @yanokwa Schedule a call meeting to discuss governance
      • @yanokwa Review the wiki to make sure nothing is missing. We’ll archive at some point.
      • @yanokwa Follow up with Tom and Ben about facilitators.

July 16, 2019

All @PMC members were present.

  • ODK

    • Collect v1.23 is coming. Second beta this week. Offline vector maps, background gps on first load.
    • Central v0.6 continues. Server side auditing, encryption, initial form versioning.
    • Briefcase v1.16 is out with Central GUI support. v1.17 will have Central CLI, update notifications, UI polish.
    • Build: Minor fixes have yet to come
    • JavaRosa: Initial performance improvements from eHA merged
    • TSC: Second round of invitees to convening, new roadmapping guidelines.
  • ODK-X

    • Round two invites complete
    • Release 2.1.4 by the end of July. Improvements to App Designer, new widgets.
    • Skunkworks project (Bat and Parrot) ALPHA scheduled for September as part of 2.1.5
  • Overall

    • GSoC: skunkworks-crow looking good (both mentoring and the code).
    • GSoD: No students selected.
    • Convening
      • Selected facilitator. Need to schedule meeting with them.
      • Events team now has the necessary information.
  • Next steps

    • @yanokwa Send event info to Gates
    • @yanokwa Schedule a call to discuss facilitation
    • @yanokwa Review the wiki to make sure nothing is missing. We’ll archive at some point.