Reference previously answered question with multiple language support

What is the problem? Please be detailed.
I would like to reference the answer to a question in a later question but display the previous answers in different languages. For example, I have a select_one question that has the surveyor select the village a respondent lives in. Then I have a subsequent question:

Has your household lived in ${village} for at least the past 5 years, for more than 6 months a year, on average?

In English, this displays properly the name for whatever village has been selected in the initial question. But if a surveyor is using Bengali version of the survey, then the entire question appears in Bengali except for the village name, which is shown in English.

I assume this is because when using ${village} in the question, it displays the name, not the label and the names are all in English, whereas I have English and Bengali versions of the labels.

Is there anyway to have the question label appear instead of the question name, so that this feature can work with multiple languages?

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
I am using ODK Collect v1.15.1 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab E and building my form with XLSForm.

What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I have looked through other answers to similar questions on the forum but none of them address multiple languages.

Check the XLS form. I tested it 1.17.2. label_save_from_list.xlsx (15.1 KB)

Probably xpath evaluate based on the displayed language. If one select village in English and forward then user will get the English village label, same for Bangla.

Thanks so much for your help with this! The version you uploaded does work to display the village name in either Bangla or English, but when I adjusted my survey to use the same village label calculation, a blank is showing up in both English and Bangla.

I am using external selects for the village names because it's a very long list. Do I need to change the calculation field jr:choice-name(${vill},'${vill}') so it works with an external choice?

This calculation does not work in case of external selection. I raised this issue earlier in the forum but do not know whether it is fixed.

Alternatively you can use pull data formula but it is not a solution but for a workaround. Both English and Bangla label viewed in this case.

You can check how to pull data from CSV works

and Check the XLS and CSV for the workaround

label_save_from_list.xlsx (15.1 KB) village.csv (194 Bytes)

1 Like

I changed the village select back to a normal selection instead of external select and everything is working. Right now it doesn't seem that much slower than before.

Thanks again for your help!