Back in November I started out on a round of user research focused on repeat questions. I ended up interviewing 4 form designers around how they use repeats in Collect. You can read a rough guide to the methodology used here.
My write up of the reseach process and the results are here but I'll list the changes we're planning to make to Collect (based on the problems we heard about) here:
- Fix "Add new group" dialog closing on app background
- Improve the language around repeats in Collect better. On the "Add new group" prompt we could tweak it so that it puts more prominence on the repeat group label by removing the "group" word altogether.
- Revise navigation back through repeat instances. This would be really helped with field visits to see Enumerators work with repeats.
- Look at adding the ability to add a new repeat instance without navigating to the hierarchy screen (could be within the options menu).
- Revise documentation to highlight using multiple form instances instead of repeats where appropriate.
We're planning on these changes being part of the Collect 1.26 update (our release backlog is here). This could change of course. Feedback on this work is much appreciated!
There were of course bigger changes we could look at in an effort to support use cases form designers are having problems there is a larger ongoing effort looking at that. I'll make sure the findings from this research contribute to that.