Showing search option with minimal in appearance

1. What is the general goal of the feature?
To have a search option where all the options (under select_one) are not shown together. Only the filtered options are shown when the user starts typing something in the edit text. This would make the UI less cluttered when there are a lot of options to choose from. So basically a drop down menu with a search option.

2. What are some example use cases for this feature?
An example could be the Google Home Page. It just has the search box in the middle and when user starts typing something, it gives matching suggestions.
Here are screenshots of an offline dictionary application as another example:

@zoey I think what you are describing already exists. See https://docs.opendatakit.org/form-question-types/#select-widget-with-autocomplete. Is the difference that you are proposing that instead of showing everything we only show a text box?

He wants the minimal appearance and apparently he's not the only one Showing search option with minimal appearance

2 Likes

Hi @yanokwa,
Yes that is what I am proposing: We get the filtered list only after we type something in the text box.

1 Like

Hello @yanokwa

Was this case solved? Having a search option where options start showing up after someone has typed in any keyword.

Because i have about 200 options and though autocomplete works but still it is alot to display 200 options.

No, it's still not possible to mix those appearances.

I've put together a mock up of what this could look like in Collect: https://www.figma.com/proto/Dxe1UF9reRdLYy8o5jishW/Minimal-automcomplete-select?node-id=24%3A1774&viewport=590%2C311%2C0.36822032928466797&scaling=min-zoom.

Interested in any reactions or feedback!

1 Like

In ODK Collect v1.28 Beta 1, the minimal appearance can combine with any other select appearance including autocomplete/search (those two are the same). The interface is very similar to @zoey's example but the choices are shown in a full screen dialog rather than a dropdown.