Support for FreeBSD

Where do I find a download and instructions for installing ODKAggregate 1.6.1 on FreeBSD 12

Welcome to the ODK forum, @Smady_Else! We're glad you're here. When you get a chance, please introduce yourself here. I'd also encourage you to add a real picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

We currently don't provide instructions for any specific operating system, although there's an installer app for Windows, Mac, and Linux, which I don't think you'll be able to use.

The following instructions can be quite complicated for a non-technical person. Here goes nothing:

• You'll have to install Java8 and an Apache Tomcat 8.5 server. You can refer to the official guides here and here

• You'll also have to provide a database server instance. We recommend you use PostgreSQL, although you could also use MySQL. Guides here and here

• Once you have installed Java8, Tomcat and a database, you can download the latest Aggregate WAR file and deploy it into your Tomcat server. Guide here

• Once deployed, you'll have to go wherever Tomcat has deployed your Aggregate instance and edit the files at WEB-INF/classes/jdbc.properties, and WEB-INF/classes/security.properties to adjust Aggregate's configuration to your particular database and network setup. You can learn how to do so here and here.

Please, take all these links with a pinch of salt. I have never ever used FreeBSD and there could be better sources of information out there.

After changing these files, restart Tomcat and you should be good to go.

Thank you for your attempt to help. It is most appreciated.

However I have not found a link to download an Aggregate War file.
Can I use the one exported by the Windows Installer?

I already have Tomcat, Java and MySQL Installed.

1 Like

I'm sorry, @Smady_Else! I forgot that we actually don't release the WAR files.

The file exported by the installer will work.

Will try again but after my first attempt WEB-INF/classes/jdbc.properties, and WEB-INF/classes/security.properties did not exist

Hi, @Smady_Else!

Sorry, I forgot about a particular detail of the installer's WAR file. It turns out that the installer packs all conf files into an aggregate-settings.jar located at WEB-INF/lib.

You can unzip the JAR file, make changes, and zip them back into the aggregate-settings.jar.

Good morning,

While installing an unrelated application I noticed something I had forgotten.

You can run linux binaries on FreeBSD by enabling linux compatibility.

I did that and ran your installer.

Worked great.

I am experimenting now to see if the linux compatibility is still needed after the installer has completed the install.

Will let you know.

1 Like