Welcome GSoC 2019 applicants!

Open Data Kit is participating in Google Summer of Code this summer. The program provides opportunities for newcomers to computing and open source to complete paid internships. Please read through this post carefully to learn how to get started!

About Open Data Kit
Open Data Kit (ODK) is a free and open-source set of tools which help organizations author, field, and manage mobile data collection solutions. Data collection is a key component of social good efforts ranging from polio elimination to rainforest conservation and ODK helps thousands of organizations collect data quickly, accurately, offline, and at scale. Read more on the website!

Communication
If you have any questions about internships in general, please ask in the comments for this post! Administrators may split some of the longer threads into their own topics if needed but please start all general internship forum conversations in this thread. For questions or comments about specific projects, please comment on the project posts listed below.

We prefer you use the forum for communication so all time zones can have a chance to respond. If you have a question that needs a real-time answer or just want to chat, you can find us on the developer Slack in the #internships channel. Questions about your initial contributions should go in the channel for the project you are contributing to.

We aim to have all conversations in public to increase transparency and knowledge sharing. In this spirit, please refrain from messaging community members directly!

Projects
These high-level descriptions should serve as a starting point for your project proposals:

We will not be accepting proposals beyond the three listed above.

Getting Started

• Read over this post very carefully and ask below if you have any questions
  • Look over the ODK website and ODK documentation to familiarize yourself with the project
  • Read the contributor guide for the project you are interested in
  • Find an issue tagged "quick win" or "contributor friendly" that you want to work on and comment with @opendatakit-bot claim to assign yourself to it. Make sure to accept the GitHub email invitation to the ODK organization that you get!
  • Join the developer Slack and talk to community members in #internships about internships and the project channels about your contributions. Remember, if it doesn't need to be real time, comment on this forum post or on one of the project posts.

Applying to be an Open Data Kit intern
If you are eligible for GSoC, you will apply starting March 25th.

We recommend starting to discuss your project ideas in the project-specific forum threads above as soon as you can! The earlier you start your application and share a draft, the stronger it will be.

8 Likes

Hi,
I am Jagadeesh. I am interested in applying for Google summer of Code 2019 for Open Data Kit Increase devices supported by device to device transfer app. So please specify the requirements that are needed to work on this project.

Thanking You

Hi @sai_jagadeesh, Welcome to the community, Please go through GSoC: Increase devices supported by device to device transfer app to understand the requirements and details of the project.

Hi, I am sandhya from India pursuing undergraduate in Kluniversity,Guntur.I am interested in applying for GSoc 2019 for Improve parsing performance in ODK JavaRosa project and i want to work with this community.I have good knowledge in java and worked with data transfering.can you provide some more requirements or information to work on this project.
Thank you..

ok sir,

Thank You for replying

Hi, I am Abhishek. I am interested in applying for GSoC 2019 for the project Stabilize and release ODK 2 Push Notifications. As i read the documentation , I found it to be a part of ODK 2 tool suite. I have gone through the codebase of skunkworks parrot and bat. To contribute in the project do i require the know the codebase of other odk 2 tools like odk services,tables,survey,suitcase,cloud endpoints,etc or can i just start with skunkworks parrot and bat.

Hi, I am Aman sharma from Delhi pursuing undergraduate in Netaji subhash institute of technology .I am interested in applying for GSoc 2019 for improving the user experience by providing a better user interface for users of ODK and i want to work with this community.I have good knowledge of java and android.can you provide some more requirements or information to work on this project.
Thank you..

2 Likes

Hi, I am Prince shah from gujaraatpursuing undergraduate in raksha shakti university .I am interested in applying for GSoc 2019 for improving the user experience by providing a better user interface for users of ODK and i want to work with this community.I have good knowledge of java and android.can you provide some more requirements or information to work on this project and also interested in open community experience.
Thank you..
[/quote]

2 Likes