Introduce yourself here!

Hello,

My name is Ulises and I work in the health sector. I am based in Hamburg, Germany and support health projects in francophone Africa funded by GIZ or the German Development Bank (KfW).

I started using ODK while in Burundi and have started again for one of my current projects in Cameroun.

7 Likes

I am Jerry Agulehi; a Health/Medical Scientist and Researcher with programming and Data Management skills. based in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Where you are typically based
I am based in Las Vegas, NV but most of my field workers are in Arkansas and Missouri.

How you got involved with the ODK community (ODK origin stories!)
I got involved with ODK when I was tasked to create an app to collect data about telecom installation sites. I evaluated other tools and found that the flexibility and project requirements lent itself well to Open Data Kit. I ahve known about ODK from past research for data collection projects working with desert tortoises and archaeological sites however the fit wasn't quite right since we were required to use devices that ran Windows Mobile 6(Yuck!) for Differential Correction of the Geolocation. My background is mainly GIS(Geographical Information Systems), Data Management, and Environmental Compliance. I am currently working with an Engineering Company and a lot of our work is outdoors and in some fairly rugged areas so we use Juniper Systems Mesa 2 Tablets for durability, battery life, and environmental resistance. i make HUGE surveys, typically consisting of a minimum of 400 rows with my largest at 900 rows for an XLSForm with multilayered skips and multiple repeats.

Some of your favorite things to do outside of data collection!
I enjoy kayaking, most things that have to do with the ocean, astronomy and electronics.

6 Likes

Hello, I am from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I am exploring ODK to assist in making field data collection easier for our agrologists. I have only been working with ODK for two months and XLSForm for four. It looks very promising and hope I can become an ODK pro with your help and I hope I can be of some help as well!

Cheers

6 Likes

I'm shy.

I've been using ODK for a couple of years, gradually increasing my confidence with it to use for small scale tools, but I've only just got round to the introduction thing. Having benefited from help on this forum I thought I would participate - even putting a picture of my dog on my profile - see, I told you I was shy!

I am a partner in a small environmental consultancy in Scotland and I focus mostly on outdoor access and recreation management, but we also work in ecology and agriculture. That means collecting data in the field (literally sometimes) and I'm a strong advocate of using technology to help efficient working - I've been trying lots of different systems over the years and ODK seems to be the most flexible and easy to adapt so far. We need quick and easy form development for different projects, and I'm still trying to find a way of managing our own data easily instead of being in thrall to Mr / Ms Google (sorry if anyone is in love with or married to him/her) and the app engine.

I love open source and collaborative development of tools is great so I'll help where I can - I'm good at breaking things... Not so much on the coding.

And I really love privacy - not a fan of social media or my personal data being a product. There's got to be a better way.

8 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Lieke and I am mostly based in the Netherlands. I work for a small consultancy specialized in agricultural development and sustainability in tropical commodity supply chains.

My company has a strong focus on data collection and analysis. For example, we have developed an Excel-based tool for entry and analysis of farm-level data which can give farmers insight into their farm management and finances. Due to the situation in most countries where we collect data, we relied mostly on paper-based data collection up until recently. However, the world is changing fast and with more and more people owning smartphones, our tool is in need of an upgrade.

In this context I've been exploring the possibilities of ODK and so far my experience is very positive. I'm a fan of open source and it is awesome to see this active community of people who support it. I'm not a programmer but hope to be able to contribute to ODK in other ways :slight_smile:

My fun fact: did you know that the Netherlands :netherlands: are the biggest importer of cocoa beans :chocolate_bar: worldwide? About a quarter of all exported cocoa beans are processed in or pass through this small country in North-West Europe.

12 Likes

Hello all.
My name is Murad and I used ODK for a project during my college years. Looking forward to getting involved with the community.

4 Likes

Hi community.

My name is joão paulo im a statistician from Brazil. Work in private sector with field research and consultancy. I work with ODK has been 3 years since college. I worked with agricutural, social and industrial research. I like eletronic games, RPG, friends, family and my girl <3.

Fun fact: Brazil lost to Germany in the World Cup but we don't really care... Ok, im lying, we cried like baby

8 Likes

My name is Raymond Wamalwa (ray_wamalwa) from Uganda, East Africa.

I work with the University and as the data manager and I'm here to learn to use ODK. Actually I have already had a try out and so far so good. However, there's more to learn especially skip logic syntax... it is still confusing, coming from other syntax of if_then_goto...

Kind regards,

Raymond

6 Likes

Hello, my name is Mark Berndt, I discovered ODK a couple of years back and use it for data collection in an organic farming project. I'm critically time poor, which makes it difficult to really explore ODK's capabilities, but it has worked for me starting with simple form to much more complex ones now. I'm based in Central Western New South Wales, Australia.

8 Likes

Welcome to Tanzania Again!

1 Like

Hi! I am Fadl from Accra, :ghana:Ghana. I prefer to be called student of ODK. Happy to be on this :globe_with_meridians:global platform.

9 Likes

My name is Helen, I'm working on a survey on women's economic empowerment in Liberia and I'm using ODK for the first time to help me collect data!

Still working my way around the features, as I'm somewhat of a Luddite.

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hello Mike you are most Welcome to Tanzania! I am in Dar es Salaam.

2 Likes

Hello.

My name is Ricardo Mazzocchi, a marine biologist that works as project coordinator in Fundación Natura (www.naturapanama.org), in Panama City, Panama. We administrate a trust fund, so we must build capacities in other NGO to promote conservation, that is,working with people in villages to preserve environmental services. Since we create these types of opportunities, we must develop tools to ensure monitoring of environmental indicators, towards to empower people in wathersheeds.

Also as marine biologist, i evoke to investigate mangrove ecosistems, and since i know the ODK potential, i´m fully interested in participate and learn more.

Regards

7 Likes

Hie, my name is Boikhutso Kgwadi from Zimbabwe, working for a developmental organisation called CNFA. Been in the Monitoring and Evaluation department for the past 13 to 14 years mainly in data processing and analysis.

I am a new learner on ODK plaforms with emphasis on designing in XML formats. Hope to enjoy the ride.

11 Likes

Hello,

My name is Reuben, I am technical officer based in Zambia, currently supporting the Ministry of Health with the use of DHIS2. I have been using odk for data collection and designed forms since 2015, however my current job does not use ODK. But I have developed interest to learn more about the platform to be able to set up aggregate servers and design more advanced forms, also see if I could learn how to have data shared between ODK and other systems like DHIS2.

7 Likes

Hi everyone! I am Ismail from Nigeria. I am a Senior Registrar in the department of public health in a teaching hospital in Nigeria.

I started using ODK in 2016 during my Field epidemiology training. Ever since, I have used ODK in all the researches I have been involved in. I found the kit extremely useful and interesting to use. Most of all it makes our environment green because it has limited the number of trees cut down to produce paper for data collection.

I wish is to be a "guru" in the use of ODK so I can pass the knowledge down to my junior colleagues and medical students I supervise.

Happy to be part of this family!

8 Likes

Hola buenas tardes,

Mi nombre es Jonnathan soy ingeniero en sistemas de información, me desempeño como consultor tecnológico, desde hace algún tiempo conoció de ODK, y actualmente ya he desarrollado varios proyectos con esta herramienta, me uní a este grupo porque me parece muy interesante aprender mucho mas sobre esta herramienta.

feliz día.

6 Likes

Hi ODK team,
Am Dr. Ali Ssetaala based at UVRI-IAVI HIV Vaccine Program, Entebbe (Uganda).
Am undertaking a PhD project on improving maternal health behaviour on Lake Victoria Islands, through use of Community Health Workers. I designed the questionnaire in ODK from a three days training from a local University. Happy to join the forum

9 Likes