ODK Collect betas are an opportunity to get community feedback on upcoming releases. If you have an ongoing data collection campaign, we recommend quickly verifying part of your form on a test device. The release will be delayed until all reported issues are fixed.
Joining the beta program
To join the beta program, find ODK Collect in the Play Store and scroll all the way down. Please don't join the beta with a device or account actively used for data collection! In particular, note that joining the beta is account-based. If you use the same Google account across multiple devices, do not join the beta with that account.
Leaving the beta program
You can leave the beta program from the bottom of the Play Store page at any time. Once you leave, you will get the next production update when it is released. If you need to go back to the previous production release, uninstall and reinstall the app. Your settings will be reset but your forms will remain (though backups are always recommended).
What to check in this release
This release adds the following features:
- Sending submissions over SMS
- Using rank widget to rank choices
- Randomize select ones and select multiples
We've put three new forms (SMS Test, Rank Test, Randomize Test) at https://opendatakit.appspot.com to help you try these features.
You will only be able to send text messages from a device with a SIM. In server settings, change "Send submissions via" to SMS and send a destination phone number. This can be any number that receives text messages.
Some needed feedback:
- Are the changes to the form sending screen easy to understand without retraining?
- Are the settings clear?
- Does the text message format work for you?
Some issues we are aware of that still need to be worked out:
- Order of forms can change once one is sent
- Saved forms can't be edited
- XLSForm support is not yet available
Is the user interface clear? Some potential changes we have discussed are:
- Adding numbers to the left of the items to indicate which rank each has
- Changing the "Tap twice to start" interface to use a button like with the date or geo widgets
Does it work well for you?
If you have some time, please also verify the other changes in the release notes:
Unlike our usual betas that run for a week, this one will run for two weeks because there are a lot of changes in this release.