ODK Collect betas are an opportunity to get community feedback on upcoming releases. If you have an ongoing data collection campaign, we recommend quickly verifying your form on a test device. The release will be delayed until all reported issues are fixed.
Joining the beta program
To join the beta program, find ODK Collect in the Play Store and scroll all the way down. Please don't join the beta with a device or account actively used for data collection! In particular, note that joining the beta is account-based. If you use the same Google account across multiple devices, do not join the beta with that account.
Leaving the beta program
You can leave the beta program from the bottom of the Play Store page at any time. Once you leave, you will get the next production update when it is released. If you need to go back to the previous production release, uninstall and reinstall the app. Your settings will be reset but your forms will remain (though backups are always recommended).
What to check in this release
This release includes several behind-the-scenes updates to comply with Play Store requirements. We encourage you to try some of the common tasks you perform with Collect on this beta to make sure everything works as expected. In particular, all of the networking functionality has changed so please try downloading and submitting forms to your servers.
- On Android 6.0+ permissions for accessing storage, GPS, photos, microphone, Google accounts, SMS and phone properties will be asked for when those resources are accessed
- Setting to choose between SMS and Internet submission on send screen (General Settings > Server > Submission transport > Send submissions via Select on Send)
- Dramatic speed increases for select ones with many options
- Warning for forms that use
current()in choice filters
frontappearance to scan barcode using front camera @andhulthen
Some needed feedback:
- Are the permission prompts clear? All data collectors using Android 6.0+ will need to accept permissions after they upgrade.
- Is the larger text for range questions easier to use? @seewhy
- Are select one questions with many options faster to load and scroll through? @dicksonsamwel
If you have some time, please also verify the other changes in the release notes:
The intended release date is September 23rd. We may publish a second beta before then if needed. Thanks to all beta testers!