How to access:
The workshop will be broadcast live here on YouTube Live.
What is it?
A free testing workshop that covers the basics of writing tests for Android and submitting them to an Open Source project such as ODK Collect. We’ll cover how to test Activities, Views, and other classes, as well as what can be done when writing new code to make testing easier.
What all will be covered?
- What should we test?
- How can we design our app to be more testable?
- JUnit tests for non-Android classes.
- Robolectric tests for Views, Fragments, and other discrete Android components.
- Instrumentation tests for general app behavior.
- How to submit a PR to add our new tests to the project.
When is it?
Wednesday, November 8th
UTC 16:00 - 18:00 (PST 8AM, EST 11AM, CET 17:00, IST 21:30)
Will it be recorded?
Yep! We’ll record it on YouTube Live for all of the people who aren’t able to make it.
How long will it last?
Around 2 hours, although the last 30-45 minutes will be Q&A.
Will we cover Dagger, Rx, etc.?
Nope! This session will mainly be focused on the basics, specifically looking at how to add tests to existing code bases such as ODK Collect (although the same stuff applies to new projects as well). We’ll mention some of these libraries as tools to help make apps easier to test, but they won’t be covered during the session.