ODK TSC-1 Call - 2019-05-15

tsc-meeting
#1

These calls bring together the Technical Steering Committee for the ODK suite to discuss roadmaps, working groups, and other issues of technical governance. Everyone is welcome to come to these calls, but only TSC members may talk.

The calls are held every two weeks in our UberConference room. We put the agenda, audio, and transcript of every call in this document.

Our next call will be Wed, May 15th at 6am America/Pacific. (see in your timezone

The agenda is tentatively as follows:

  1. Introduction/warm up/agenda review

  2. Review action items from last meeting

    1. Everyone: Read the guidelines for becoming an ODK project so we can vote

    2. Yaw: Things from last meeting.

      • Put together proposal for forum staff
      • Contacted top solvers for feedback
      • Next step is to ask TSC/PMC
    3. Adam: Update on external data next steps (eventually)

  3. Roadmap & parking lot check-in

  4. Adoption of Project Governance

  5. +/Δ

  6. Next meeting time—same or different?

  7. Next meeting roles

    1. Facilitator: (see list)
    2. Note taker: (Usually facilitator from last meeting)
  8. Review action items

The agenda can also be seen in the agenda document

If there are topics you would like to add to the TSC's agenda, please comment below. :point_down:

#2

If there's time, it would be great to get a verdict on XLSForm spec proposal: add syntax to make it easy to use a value from the last saved instance or at least a sense of whether TSC folks still want to think about it. I have also put out XForms spec proposal: add event fired when new repeat instance is created as a companion for repeats that would be good to draw attention to.

I'm pushing on these because they would make https://github.com/opendatakit/roadmap/issues/30 available to most users and thus would enable moving that item to the done column. :tada: Dynamic defaults more generally have also been requested for a long time.

#5

A designer here at eHA spent a couple of hours coming up with some new versions of the ODK logo. Maybe it would be interesting to talk about them, or at least talk about whether we want to talk about a new logo?

You can see them here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1H0BHBbr250xLkubIbAbnNpIczqKg_xOP?usp=sharing

#6

Although I think we can chew up an hour on adam's external data andln's last-saved, I was wondering what perhaps is the process of getting stuff added to the roadmap for a subsequent meeting (it appears to be a read-only doc?). I wanted to perhaps discuss Validate's/Collect's XForm 'error' checking on a TSC call at some point...

#7

I think we have a lot going on these days and so I propose the core of the call should prioritize unblocking work that is close to finished and talking a bit about process.

Discuss and approve to unblock work

This should be fast if everyone reads and comments on the following docs before the call.

Process changes to work more efficiently together

The project is moving really quickly and it's really hard to keep up with all the work that's going on. Some ideas:

  • Using and setting expectations around TSC-1 category and tag.
    • Worked really well for Central announcement. We should do more.
    • Use category to message and remind each other, PMs are better for sensitive topics.
    • Watching categories and topic reminders are very helpful.
  • Roadmap seems unmaintained. Should we put someone in charge?
  • Everyone should recruit for Google Season of Docs

Put in parking lot, but work on asynchronously the next two weeks (due May 29th)

Try to discuss in four weeks (due Jun 12th)

  • pyxform updates
  • JavaRosa performance updates
  • Goals for a convening
  • Logo discussion
2 Likes
#8

BTW, unless anybody else is especially keen, I'm happy to facilitate the following TSC call. Its prob getting near my (first!) turn, and I figure I should do something nice to make up for throwing everybody's schedule off by being in a stupid timezone... :slight_smile:

#9

Thanks Yaw. I was already planning a stout roadmap/parking lot review so I like your suggestions.

#10

wrt parking lot & roadmap, is there any good reason not to simply put all parking-lot issues as, at least perhaps initially, just under 'ice-boxed' roadmap? Or maybe a new roadmap category? I'm not seeing the benefit of tracking these in an separate doc...

1 Like
#11

I really like the simplicity of C (but it seemed a bit too abstract, hard to pick out 'ODK' acronym). Was bored so I thought I'd play around with a couple ideas in gimp... Shameless plagiarism, drop shadows arent quite right, but you get the idea...

4d7c4387ae5b12f125b1ca9817f66f128a59da5b

4d7c4387ae5b12f125b1ca9817f66f128a59da5b%20copy%202