ODK TSC-1 Call - 2019-06-12

These calls bring together the Technical Steering Committee for the ODK suite (@TSC-1) to discuss roadmaps, working groups, and other issues of technical governance. Everyone is welcome to come to these calls, but only TSC members may talk.

The calls are held every two weeks in our UberConference room. We put the agenda, audio, and transcript of every call in this document.

Our next call will be Wed, 12th June 2019. The meeting time should be shown in your timezone above.

The agenda is as follows:

  1. Introduction/warm up/agenda review

  2. Review action items from the last meeting

    a. @xiphware, @ln, @martijn discuss Validate/javaRosa checks and return at a later date with TSC proposal

    b. Gareth agreed to write a PR for the landing page capturing all this roadmap stuff.

    c. Gareth to rename roadmap categories and update comments in ‘Welcome’ describing category guidelines

    d. Gareth to mark Parking Lot document as deprecated

    e. Yaw will send Tom a reminder to review the proposal in a week.

    f. Yaw will review @TSC-1 mention in post templates

  3. Roadmap Category Changes (@Xiphware )

  4. Convening: What outcomes do we want? Who should we have there?

  5. Approaches for linking form instance changes to individuals

  6. TSC-1 Lazy Consensus Timelines

  7. XForms spec proposal: add event fired when new repeat instance is created

  8. Updates: Pyxform (Dickson), Performance Improvements (@adam.butler ), ?? (@martijnr )

  9. Roadmap & parking lot check-in

  10. +/Δ

  11. Next meeting time—same or different?

  12. Next meeting roles

    1. Facilitator: (see list)
    2. Note taker: (Usually facilitator from last meeting)
  13. Review action items

The agenda can also be seen in the agenda document

If there are topics you would like to add to the TSC's agenda, please comment below. :point_down:

@TSC-1 For those who proposed the agenda items below, let me know and I can remove them from the agenda.

  1. Form design: grid of text or numeric input (if we have time) All: please quickly review just in case we get to it

  2. Central Block 6

I suspect there may be more pressing matters needing TSC discussion, but your call if you would like to keep it or add some other proposed roadmap item that you feel needs TSC review.

For me, the pressing matters are:

The coming convening and what outcomes we want to have and who might be good to have there. I've started an initial list.

Approaches for linking form instance changes to individuals. I think it'll be particularly relevant for @aurdipas and @tomsmyth and it's important to our colleagues at LSHTM who are working on the Ebola vaccine study. If we agree on an approach, it might be a nice quick win.

Last saved is in Collect, we have a syntax to access it, we need to decide what to do with repeats. Once we do that, we can send in the pyxform changes. XForms spec proposal: add event fired when new repeat instance is created is the current discussion. It'd be good if @LN, @martijnr, and @Xiphware come to some consensus so we can get the go ahead from the TSC. I'd be happy to help with pyxform changes once we have consensus.

Getting everyone's go ahead on lazy consensus timelines so we can finalize that and start working more asynchronously and saving the meetings for the really thorny issues.

It'd nice to get updates from @adam.butler about how the performance improvements to JavaRosa are going and @Ukang_a_Dickson about how the pyxform v1.0 release is coming along. And I guess while we are doing updates, @martijnr might have some updates too.

I'll add:

  • quick review to agree on roadmap category changes. Please take a look at the (new) roadmap (and give me feedback) - I'll write something to document it all more formally in a landing page PR, prior to next week's TSC meeting.

Oh, I'd be good to get @LN's blessing... :slight_smile:

I love it, @Xiphware! My blessing is hardly necessary but :sparkles:@Xiphware :sparkles:consider yourself blessed. :innocent:

trying to involve our med department on it.

1 Like

The agenda is updated, thank you all for your feedback.

1 Like